We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The AC adapter and wattage cannot be determined. Dell

Ex plorer
Resolved

Likes # 0

PC Dell Inspiron ONE AIO win 7

This is what I get on boot up.

The AC adapter and wattage cannot be determined. The system performance is unpredictable. Please connect a Dell 180 Watt adapter and restart. Or press F1 and continue.

It has the AC Addapter in use that came with the PC and has worked OK until now and still seems to be working OK.

I have been to the UK Dell site and I was going to email them unfortunately I cant as the first thing they want to know is the TAG Number and its not recognized. The PC is three weeks old and is registered.

I googled this and it seems to be common with laptops this is a desktop any advice would be appreciated.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Three weeks old? Take it back, as there must be a glitch in the Dell software, I'd have thought.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

ton - he does say a PC, not laptop.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

I realise that but it sounds like the same problem.

But at only three weeks old I would take it back anyway.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Hi thanks for your feed back so far I am reading and appreciating your comments. I will ring Dell in the morning to try and solve the issue.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Hi I switched off the PC, and the mains to the AC adapter. I unplugged the cable from the adapter and then the PC.

I Plugged the cable into the AC adapter first and then back into the PC and switched the power on. I have booted four times and all seems well lets hope it stays that way.

If it returns I will replace the cable between the AC adapter and PC as a first step.

In the cable like many today it has a bulge for a ferrite core block, I just looked that up if it was damaged could this cause the problem.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I would still ring Dell with your problems even if it is to sort out the problem with the TAG number not recognized. Make sure you have your receipt info handy. As it's virtually out of the box I wouldn't be happy.

Like this post  
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

A ferrite core is just a block of ceramic with magnetic material mixed in.

It absorbs Radio Frequency noise.

It can no more 'go wrong' than a Breezeblock.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hadn't realised that some modern PCs (all-in-ones?) have an adaptor. Makes more sense to me now!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...