We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Gate way laptop not booting properly

orangewhiteblue

Likes # 0

Hi

I have an oldish Gateway laptop that doesn't go past the splash screen (F2 Bios, F10 Boot menue, etc). It then just goes to a black screen.

Any suggestions please.

Simon

PS I don't have the restore disk either.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

FAns running? HDD making a noise? leds on?

Like this post
orangewhiteblue

Likes # 0

Fans are running, LEDs flicker on and off while going through the flash screen. I would say the HDD isn't making a noise however I have tried a different HDD (new) however it appeared to be the same.

Cheers

Simon

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Try pressing the F11 key at startup - you should be presented with the Gateway System Recovery option. That will allow you to restore your computer to it's original factory settings.

On some models you should instead try the Alt key + F10 while booting which should take you to the Gateway restore feature.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

different HDD (new)

it won't run for more than a split second if there is no operating system on it.

Is the drive found in BIOS?

can you try booting from a Linux CD? such as Knoppix

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites