We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tom Loughran

Tominable

Likes # 0

Hey guys,

New here but got a problem which I hope you can help me with.

I have a Dell XPS L502X Laptop which I got in October (2011) but due to a HD failure I had to send it back to get a replacement HD. Now I have it back I can't seem to triple screen. I'm using a Dell SP2309W monitor (from HDMI) and my 21" Generic Non-PnP Monitor at (from mini display port converter to VGA at 720p), however I have tried the following process with my 32" LG TV (1080X1920) and the Dell monitor. The other screen is my laptop screen (1080X1920)

When I try to extend the picture to the non dell monitor, through the mini display port and VGA converter I get the error message 'Unable to change display settings', thus limiting myself to 2 screens (third world problems I know).

The odd thing is that when I mirror the display from 1 and 2, the mirror is successful and mirrored screen 1 appears on the monitor which I with to be extended. I have also tried the VGA cable with regular output with my PC and this works fine.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M with fully updated drivers (last ones are for the end of Feb I think), have reinstalled these twice and the whole set-up (of 3 screens) worked fine before I got a new HD (and my system was effectively restarted)

Any help would be great,

Thanks...

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Have you been to the Dell website, put your serial number in and checked to see if you have all the required drivers for a triple screen system.

When they replaced your harddrive they not have installed all the drivers, just the standard ones.

Terry

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just installed W/7 on my grand Daughters computer and Microsoft installed all of the updates for the drivers so that it was just a matter of turning on the computer and connected to the internet straight away.

I did find that there were a few drivers that were also needed and I had to go to the Acer site to download them.

Like Terry brown say's try the dell website first.

Like this post
Tominable

Likes # 0

Thanks guys, sorry been away from the internet for a while.

Called up dell the other day and all I had to do was uninstall and reinstall Intel HD 3000... Seems obvious to me now as the external monitor from mini display port would run on these drivers.

Anyway all fixed now and thanks once again for the advice. Seems like a thoughtful and well established community

Tominable

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia