We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Replaced Hard drive now no internet

CAPES

Likes # 0

Hello, My hard drive on my Mesh pc was on its way out so i decided to replace it, now i cant get on the internet and i think something must be missing. I used the windows XP recovery disc that came with the PC, no problems installing it, I have checked the device manager and the network adaptor (1394 net adaptor) has no indicators next to it. When I check my network connections the 1394 says its connected, but it doesnt disconnect if i unplug the ethernet cable. i'm using a virgin media superhub, which is working fine, so any advice would be welcome. I havent contacted VM because its obviously some software issue on my pc, Mark*

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Not familiar with any Virgins but don't you have to set your name and password to connect? If you've restored using Mesh's restore disc then it can't be your drivers.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

the 1394 is a firewire port (works like a usb port, usually used to connect a cam-corder to the pc). Your internet connection is via the ethernet port to your router/modem. ClickHere (article refers to MacBook but the ports are same on a pc)

When you used the windows XP recovery disc did that take you back to a factory fresh image install? or do you have to install the motherboard drivers as well?

In device manager were there any items with a yellow exclamation mark next to them and/or marked Unknown?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Check plug and socket wiring

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If it's ethernet cable to router/modem it should show in Network Connections as a 'Local Area Connection'

rdave13, are you bragging or complaining :) lol

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sorry ignore that.

I don't know how it appeared in this thread, as was posted in another,

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic, my time of life I really don't know. Rather nourishment than punishment!

Virgin is cable so the modem requires name and password to connect? That's before connecting to a router for wireless. So I'm guessing that to connect to Virgin again the modem needs to be set-up. As it was a Mesh disc I assume all drivers were re-installed unless another disc was supplied with drivers. OP stated no problems in device manager?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

The super hub is Virgins own modem/router so you will not have to put in user name and password again, I would unplug the super hub and the PC leave for 5 mins, then plug in the superhub and leave a few mins to settle then then switch PC back on.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

have you double checked the wiring on the motherboard for any loose connections. I sometimes have issuers when connecting to the net and i have loose connection on the board, when i find the culprit i just have to reconnect that wire.

Are you sure your net company isn't down for any maintenance for a couple of hours.

Reinstall all the drivers one by one and also restart the computer after installing the drivers one by one restarts.make sure modem is off and when you installed the drivers try to C if get on the net.

U have formatted the new drive?

Like this post
CAPES

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the replies, I hav'nt had a look at this since i gave up last night, but basically i just put the new hard drive in, quick formatted it, maybe i should properly format it and try again. I only had 1 recovery disc with my mesh pc, i think its just the OS, i've browsed it and cant find any mention of drivers, i didnt get a motherboard disc, i've checked on ASUS website, but cant find any specific drivers (motherboard is M2NPV-VM). When i activated the super hub originally i had to go to a activation website, but it just wont dispaly this time, cant even get to the hub main page. I changed a hard drive in my sisters Dell recently and had no problems getting on to the web, so like i said something is definately missing on my system. There are some yellow marks in the device manager, but i think they refer to the graphics card which is faulty anyway. I cant get to a screen that asks for my password but i havent got back on it yet, will try again later and again thanks for the replies Mark

Like this post
CAPES

Likes # 0

Just an update, I'm now online with this new hard drive, Mesh only supplied the OS recovery disc so i had to download the drivers for the motherboard from ASUS Mark

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features