We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Excel Printing Problems

aidan56

Likes # 0

Win 7 64 bit 4GB memory Excel 2007. When trying to print a single spreadsheet of the six contained within a 5.5 MB workbook my Fineprint application says it is trying to print 4,700 pages. Another separate workbook prints the spreadsheets within it properly. All my spreadsheets are no more than 4 pages. Where have all these extra pages come from it takes ages to load.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Don't know, but as a workaround solution you could copy the six worksheet pages to a new workbook with a slightly different name and then delete the 'problem' workbook.

Like this post
aidan56

Likes # 0

Thank you lotvic.

I did try this sometime ago and it seemed to correct the problem. However it's back again now. Talking to someone he suggested that all individual cells in this spreadsheet are attempting to print individually as pages.

If this is the case any idea how I can convince this spreadsheet that the cells are part of it, and not thousands of separate spreadsheets!!

Looking at it there is nothing to indicate that there is a problem.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

Clutching at straws rather, but, as a simple workround, if the spreadsheet itself isn't too complex, and doesn't have macros, you could try downloading/installing either OpenOffice or LibreOffice, (virtually identical), and opening your worksheet in that...

Assuming that "fixes" the problem you could then re-save the file, as an .ods file.... the open the .ods file and re-save as .xls using Open or Libre, (whichever you've used), then reopen it again in Excel, to see if the problem has disapeared.

It might be that saving as a .ods will "strip out" the "error", which then wouldn't be present when you re-save as an .xls.

Of course this might not help at all, so apologies if it proves fruitless!

And, for safety's sake, I'd make a copy of the file before you do anything, in case something important gets lost in the conversion... but unless you've macros or complex formulae/named ranges I suspect you'll be OK.

Good luck!

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

Also... I've just thought... does this only happen when you print to "FinePrint"? What happens if you print direct to your printer?

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

And see the early posts in this thread; http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398760

And this refers to a similar problem with Excel 2000... though the source of the problem may be similar, i.e. scaling. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266114

I love Fineprint! I've bought it about 10 yeasr ago, and use it all the time... but I have known it to go bonkers occasionally, so the problem might be there!

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Sorry, it's got me stumped :(

Like this post
aidan56

Likes # 0

Very Many thanks lotvic and Simsy.

By the way I meant 47,000 pages not 4,700 big typo there! The whole default Excel worksheet is I believe about 1,048,575 rows or at least mine is when I press Ctrl-End, so I carried out some instructions I found on uk.answers.yahoo.com to remove one million rows below my spreadsheet working area that were not used, and that went OK. However Excel was still very very slow. Just highlighting the areas I wanted was painfully slow running at only about 2 rows per second and I had a few hundred rows. It also took ages to load into Fineprint.

FinePrint was working very well on all other spreadsheets and has given no trouble since I bought it.

I have now downloaded Open Office (thanks Simsy) and copied the areas I had used in Excel to an Open Office Spreadsheet. This worked perfectly with all required functions available. It opens very quickly and there is no problem with printing. Incidentally the whole workbook nows shows that it is only 1MB and not the 5.5MB shown in Excel.

I am very grateful to both of you for your speedy help and guidance.

Many thanks and best wishes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED