We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Power Supply ATX 500W failure.

destan
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just had the mains power, subscriber unit, changed in my house. PC shutdown, connected to surge protector. Electrician finished and left. 2 Days later I go to switch on pc, dead, nothing, no whirr, no leds, no beeps, surge protector showing normal, 240v at cable to pc, no output from power supply.

ASUS P5K SE/EPU, Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.00GHz Dual Core Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB PCIe, 500GB 7200RPM Hard Disk, Vista Ultimate.

Is there a reset or changeable fuse within a CASECOM ATX500W? Or would you say it was goosed? Looking to upgrade pc with a higher power graphics card EVGA NVIDIA GTX 680 so would it be prudent to replace current PSU with an uprated,say, 750W PSU. Your advice is always greatly received.

Stan

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Is there a reset or changeable fuse within a CASECOM ATX500W? No.

You will need to upgrade your PSU and to something a little more decent. 750W will be more than enough.To put it bluntly Casecom are rubbish.

Like this post  
destan

Likes # 0

Chronos, thanks for your reply. How do I find the correct type to replace, is it just the voltage details on the case or the amount of cables from it?. Cheers. Stan

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

If you have a standard case then pretty much any PSU will fit. You can either go for a modular one.Which basically means that you only need to attach cables to the PSU that you actually need, except for the main mobo power connectors which are fixed. I prefer this type as I prefer a tidy inside case and do not want cables I am not using lying about at the bottom. But these tend to be more expensive than the none modular which of course have every cable fixed to the PSU.

I myself will be shortly upgrading my PSU as,like you I am upgrading to a 680GTX and am currently researching various options.

Like this post
destan

Likes # 0

Chronos, thanks, have just ordered an XFX PRO 750W ATX PSU 8X SATA QUIET PC POWER SUPPLY UNIT EASYRAIL TECHNOLOGY NEW from Amazon, not found anything against it, unless you know better? Thanks.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Have you actually tried plugging in the computer without the surge protector - i.e. direct from mains plug to computer. Although the Surge protector looks OK, it may have a problem.

Or there may be a simpler solution- Have you checked the fuse in the PC power cable?, in case that has blown.

Terry

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Sorry - did not read query properly

Like this post
destan

Likes # 0

New PSU fitted, up and running, now with enough power to upgrade Mobo, Processor and Graphics, In time. Thanks. REgards

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen