We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System information volume fields are eating my partitioned drive

Dutchy11
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have Vista Home Premium.

I have a separate partition (D:) which appears full. The files I have put their myself total 50% of the 120Gb partition. The other 50% I see from Treesize is about 30 files totalling 60Gb.

A typical file looks like this

D:\System Volume Information{db37075f-6b4f-11e1-b156-afc12c875f87}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}

I have turned off system restore and rebooted -as most answers suggest that these files are originating from system restore and would delete following system restore being turned off - but this has not effected the files at all.

Any idea where these files are coming from? I cannot access these files nor take ownership - so cannot manually delete.

I really need this space - I'm reaching the point of saving critical files to external drive and re-installing the O/s but want to avoid this if possible.

Any suggestions?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

To start with try the following:-

Download and Run CCleaner from here to clean out all of the temp.(rubbish) files. enter link description here

Also download and install Smart Defrag (Free) enter link description here

You will see a noticeable difference.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Ccleaner can delete old Restore points too.

Or Start Search Create a Restore Point to get Configuration options.

Or you could perhaps delete SysVolInfo with MoveOnBoot.

Or you can mess with permissions for a manual delete (or just to Explore) with cacls and a Command Prompt.

See here

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Note: System Volume Information is automatically recreated when deleted.

Like this post
Dutchy11

Likes # 0

ok. I've got CCleaner already - and ran it - which cleaned up 1 Gb - but all from the C: drive. The System Volume Information folder and files all reside on the D: partition.

Like this post
Dutchy11

Likes # 0

Ahh.

"Note: System Volume Information is automatically recreated when deleted."

So deleting these files wont solve the problem. What's creating them? Why such huge files? One file is 10Gb on it's own and taking up more space than the system folder on the c: drive!

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Or Start Search Create a Restore Point to get Configuration options.

You can set an upper limit per partition. I have 4GB for a 250GB drive

Restore Points have to be stored somewhere (unless you switch it off - not recommended)

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You can gain access to the System Volume Information Folder enter link description here

Like this post
Dutchy11

Likes # 0

I'm not sure these are a result of system restore. I have turned off system restore - and the config options suggest they are created on the c: drive in any case.

Like this post
Dutchy11

Likes # 0

I take it all back.

I noticed that even though system restore was off, the D drive was still flagged as having a restore point. Turning SR back on for that drive, rebooting,and then turning off again and rebooting cleared the restore points for that drive.

I'm now turning back on for the c: drive and see what occurs!

Thanks guys

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...