We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC won't boot up after sleep mode!

puddylump
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello.

Last night, I shut down my computer and in the dark, I must have hit a sleep button instead of the power down button. This isn't normally a problem as I can just press a key on the keyboard and it wakes up. This time however, it didn't do this. I'm using a wireless keyboard and figured that it wasn't working for some reason. I tried plugging in a wired keyboard to the same effect. I tried doing a cold shutdown, still nothing. Whenever it boots up, it just returns to sleep mode.

After an hour of trawling various internet forums for answers, I found out that my BIOS might be corrupted. I really don't want to have to go inside my computer and do various tests on it, so if anyone can help me here, that would be great.

I'm running Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit, and I don't have a recovery disk.

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Have you tried 'last known good configuration' (tap f8 during boot to display the menu)?

Like this post
puddylump

Likes # 0

@onthelimit1

Thing is, the monitor doesn't show anything when I boot up. It's like the computer is just booting into sleep mode. I've tried tapping F8 over and over, but nothing happens.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

Unplug from the mains wall socket, Press and Hold in the Power Button for 30 seconds. Wait at least another 2 or 3 minutes and then plug back in and boot up. This often clears it.

If that doesn't work then tell us if there is any sign of life - lights, fan noise etc. (Have you checked the fuse in the mains plug if there is no sign of life?)

Like this post  
puddylump

Likes # 0

@lotvic

Haha! I tried this about 15 minutes before you posted, and it worked! Thank you :)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

:D

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...