We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Machine turns self on and off! Replaced just about everything! Ghost?

labrys

Likes # 0

I've got a Packard Bell that started turning itself off and on again, at random intervals but repedadly. My first (and most hopeful) thought was PSU. I replaced and it worked for a little while but the the problem 'started up' again (no pun intended).

I started pulling bits out till I was left with: motherboard, processor & ram (tried two different sticks one at a time.. left none in and it just gives out one contiunous bleep). Still got the same problem. Surely cant be a hd or virus issue then. And that leaves the only three bits of hardware right?

So I by new motherboard and processor bundle that came with new ram (all three bits it could possibly be?) replaced. Put it all in current case, with new power supply. Turn on for a bit and it works for a while.

I Start plugging things back in one at a time try it for a bit turn off and stick something else in; gfx card, sit around in bios, seems ok for a bit,plug in cd drive, sit around in bios for a bit, then hard drive. I go into windows and attempt to start installing new drivers, plug network cable back in (into new motherboard onbord netowrk port) in-case it needs updates, and after a while it turns off again.

I pull out hd, sit around in bios and it turns off again. Can't be the case could it?

I am thoughrouly confused!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As I suggested, power switch to mobo faulty I think. You can 'short' the connection on the mobo to re-set or switch off.

Now you have two PCs see if you can search for a new front panel, complete with power switch. If you can, test it, and sell on Ebay without an OS. At least you might be able to recoup some of your costs.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I have an old on/off switch (in my junk box), if you want it to try- i'll dig it out for you

Have you actually phyically checked the motherboard where the swich plugs in, in case you have a dodgy wire or loose connection? (unplug check and plug in again.)

Terry

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

im thinking maybe replace the case, if it is a faulty button. how long have had the pc and have you cleaned out the dust from the inside. I take it the fans are still working.

do you know the temperature of the motherboard are and are the fans colling it. Can you test it wi the panel of then case.

T was going to recommend speccy as it can tell the temp speccy but this may not be feasible

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

also the battery on the motherboard how old is that?

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

do you still have the handbook about resetting the motherboard

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote