We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

problem with sending emails

eileen oakley

Likes # 0

i have today set up a new email address (with help from a friend) using a domain that i own. I went to their house to do this. After setting it up we tested it - I receievd an email from him.......and replied to it, I received an email from another friend.......and replied to it all with success. I then came home and although i appear able to recieve emails into this 'new' account i can not send any out and these are staying blocked in my outbox. This does not make any sense!

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

When you set up your email at the friend's house, you will have used their ISP's SMTP server to send mail. If your own ISP is a different one, you need to use your ISP's SMTP server when connected to your home broadband service.

This is the way ISPs restrict access to their outgoing mail server to their own customers, to avoid it being used to send spam.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

If you are still stuck, suggest you post back here with:

-- Details of the email client that you use (e.g. Windows Mail, Outlook Express, Incredimail)

-- Details of your ISP

Like this post
eileen oakley

Likes # 0

thanks both for your advice. I have today managed to set up the new email address using my domain and also using outlook rather than windows live. I used IRMP instead of POP went with the settings that came up and only had to change the outgoing smtp bit.......having tested it everything seems to be working ok. what a huge relief :-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing