We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

hifi

civicr

Likes # 0

Hi all , What is the best way to connect a hifi amp to my pc . I have a technics sa gx 130 . Win7 pc with onboard sound card . Will I be better off buying a separate sound card . I have it connected through the phono input but sometimes sound seems muffled , i have to mess with the base and trebble but sound is not quite right using windows media player . Thanks, civicr

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

I have an amp attached to my PC. It is just a case of a two plug phono lead from AUX on the hifi to a single 3.5 jack going into the LINE IN on the soundcard. Works a treat.

EG like this phono lead

Like this post
civicr

Likes # 0

Hi, My amp does not have an aux socket.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

I have it connected through the phono input but sometimes sound seems muffled:

Have you tried connecting through the (CD) or (VCR 1 in) inputs.

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

The phono input on your amp is intended for use with a record deck fitted with a magnetic cartridge. Quite severe bass boost and treble cut will be applied to this signal - this is why it sounds muffled. You must use any input except phono.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Firstly I assume you are trying to playback from your PC through your hifi system. Given that, then:

Number six is right. The phono input (for use with a record deck cartridge) expects a very low level input and the output from your PC will overload it (hence the muffled sound). Also the phono input on an amp will expect a somewhat differently structured audio signal (due to certain limitations of vinyl playback) which the pre-amp inside your hifi restructures (or "normalizes") before feeding it into the main amp.

You should connect the Line Out of the PC to one of the other inputs on your amp (e.g. Video, Aux, CD, Tape In, Line In). These by-pass the pre-amp in your hifi and go straight to the main amp and which expects a stronger signal that is already "normal" in its structure)

Failing that if you have a headphone socket on the PC, you could try connecting that up (again to Video, Aux, CD, Tape In, Line In).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...