We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Widows 7 upgrade

fedex1969

Likes # 0

Hi Guys. Can I successfully upgrade my Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. If not, how do I go about it? Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes it can be done however a clean install is always better. you can clean install 7 from an upgrade disk

see here

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

You cant do a upgrade install from 32 Bit Vista to 64bit Windows 7 although you can upgrade to 32bit Windows 7. Also when doing a upgrade install it has to be for a like for like version eg you cant upgrade Vista Home basic to Windows 7 Ultimate

If you do a clean install ignore the above

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Just choose the 'Custom' option not the 'Upgrade. quote from MS "A custom installation doesn't preserve your programs, files, or settings. It's sometimes called a "clean" installation for that reason."

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

The above and if your processor can handle 64bit

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote