We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

can windows xp home run on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 7550

finerty
Resolved

Likes # 0

can someone enlighten me can windows xp work with

this computer build

Many thanks

Like this post
oscarandersson20

Likes # 0

should be fine, depending on your budget though go for an Intel chip. You can find an i3 for the same price. look at "http://www.cpubenchmark.net/highendcpus.html" to compare. My advise would be to invest in something like the i5 2500k which will last you 5 years +. Can get a complete set up for around 500 pounds. If you dont game consider the AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core.

If your looking for the cheapest possible check ebay or similar and look for a dual core for less than 100 pounds. Something like a xeon 3.0 ghz (some of these are advertised as quad cores when they're not)

Contact the sellers to see what fans they've put into these computers with small enough fans your computer can literally be silent and its worth paying a little extra for.

all the best

Like this post
oscarandersson20

Likes # 0

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+7550+Dual-Core

i found just that processor, its slow but cheap. if you have the time order your own bits.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I used to have a Pentium 2 which run xp home with 512 memory, slow but it worked, only used for word and spreadsheet though.

Terry

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

i heard theres a little overheating issue with the board, so i wont be ordering the pc kit

Like this post
raziel08

Likes # 0

I have recently purchased and built that very kit.

Note that it comes with only one sata power cable, no chassis fan and the case is very cheap (slightly flimsy metal).

easy to put together and runs fine. However the cpu fan is quite noisy.

Currently my pc runs with main side off as it does feel quite warm when you put your hand over it. Not sure if all modern pcs are like this as my previous desktop was built about 10 years ago.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

^ bump (to remove spammer's name from 'last reply' list - FE has deleted his post)

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite