We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

WHICH ROUTER SHOULD I BUY?

CabbageWhite

Likes # 0

I have a PC running XP. My broadband is via Orange and an ADSL modem (no router). I am nervous about changing (I am hardly PC literate) but can put it off no longer. I like the look of Zen as an ISP, but I need to buy a router. I am a novice in this world and would appreciate some help. Which? magazine recommends the Linksys X2000 but there does not seem too much enthusiasm for it on the web. The Netgear N600 seems to fare better. There must be many other routers that I am missing. PC Advisor - where are you when I need you?

I need a router that is easy to set-up and operate. Something fairly future-proof if possible. I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you are going to change ISP then see f they will supply you with a router.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

agree, new ISP will send you a router, tell them you don't have one. They usually come preconfigured so all you have to do is plug your ethernet cable in. If not then there will be a cd with wizard interface which will give you prompts to type your details in, password etc. which will be on the letter they send (it's very similar to setting up an email account)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

From what I hear of Zen (top in Which reports) - you have made a good choice of ISP. I agree with the others; I think their help department is on Rochdale (as opposed to India ) so I would give them a call and discuss it.

Like this post
CabbageWhite

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone. Now I know the answer, it seems so obvious. Which makes me embarrassed as well as grateful.

I'll talk to Zen today. It's always good to speak to someone from Rochdale.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

No need to be embarrassed - how are you supposed to know if you don't ask to find out - same as rest of us :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer