We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer Laptop W/7 64 bit keeps freezing.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Acer Laptop W/7 64 bit keeps freezing.It starts not to bad but as soon as you click on any programs it may take up to 10 minutes for it to appear.

If you click on anything else it tends to freeze for a while.

Some programs will open and run with difficulty others just won't.

Not to bad in safe mode with networking but ever so slow in normal mode and have to wait ages for it to close down with Windows Explorer trying to close I/E takes so long you have press the on off switch to turn the laptop off.

She uses it for University so don't want to loose anything if not nessissary.

Her USB flash drive will not work.So she cannot save any of her work.

Ran sfc /scannow and system repair plus her security programs and nothing been found.

Anyone any ideas before I have to set it back to factory settings tomorrow.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Well that was quick.Placed the order with Amazon Friday night with free post and they arrived this morning,Great service as it was a Bank Holiday.

W/7 Sp1 installed no bother but I never seen any options for phoning.

I was connected to the Internet I hope and just typed in the keycode using Capitals and it carried on with the set up.It did that the last time and it was 3 days later that I got the pop up box from microsoft saying it was not the correct keycode.

So will see what happens this time.Just running the updates.Then I will try running Emisoft anti malware just to see if it completes as it never ever finished the scan using the old hard drive.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok.looks like it was the Hard drive as most of you suggested.

New Hard drive in and running Ok.Ran all my security programs without a hitch.

What a difference it makes Downloading W/7 with SP1 included.It took little time to run the rest of Windows Updates.

Not sure which acer programs do not run now.But will have to leave it with my Grand daughter to download what she needs herself.

Once again thank you all very much for all of your help.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Type systemin the search box and select system in the list. It will show on the bottom of the page if Windows is activated. If it's not then click on activate now and see if you get the option to activate over the phone.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

rdave13

It says Windows is activated but beside it it says change product key,Not sure if that is normal or not.

By the way that little usb hard disk hub or whatever you call it works well.

Just files or folders on it with the Old Windows.So not sure if you can run that or not.

I was looking to see if there was any way to download the Back to Factory settings if it was on there.Just a couple of windows programs with one showing about 7.5 Gb.

So not sure what I have to download for her.No doubt she will know someone at University that will add any programs that she needs.

Ignore that last bit about it being activated just realized that I was on my own computer.Will go and check her laptop now.

Ok it was not verified as genuine.So I typed the keycode in again and this time it says it has been verified and genuine.

Will see if it is still the same tomorrow.Thanks for letting me know how it was done.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

So long as it shows Windows is activated then you're OK. The 'change product key' is for just what you've done to reactivate or if it was an illegal copy then you have time to buy a licence and use that to activate.

The caddy is an useful tool especially if you want to 'clone' the drive (to a new one obviously) or just use different drives for storage.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

rdave13

Thanks for all of your information it has been a great help.I think we can now call this thread well and truly closed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED