We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer Laptop W/7 64 bit keeps freezing.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Acer Laptop W/7 64 bit keeps freezing.It starts not to bad but as soon as you click on any programs it may take up to 10 minutes for it to appear.

If you click on anything else it tends to freeze for a while.

Some programs will open and run with difficulty others just won't.

Not to bad in safe mode with networking but ever so slow in normal mode and have to wait ages for it to close down with Windows Explorer trying to close I/E takes so long you have press the on off switch to turn the laptop off.

She uses it for University so don't want to loose anything if not nessissary.

Her USB flash drive will not work.So she cannot save any of her work.

Ran sfc /scannow and system repair plus her security programs and nothing been found.

Anyone any ideas before I have to set it back to factory settings tomorrow.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The phone process is fully automated and free. Get pen and paper ready. If I remember correctly you need to copy blocks of numbers from A to F and then you type them in. I'm having my doubts about using a retail disk as it was an OEM version initially but certainly try the phone to verify. It costs nothing.

If the original installation didn't have SP1 then try your disc. If shove comes to push you can always buy Acer's e-restore discs but I imagine they won' be cheap.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As a PS my original Win7 retail disc didn't have SP1 but I did a fresh install using the Win7/SP1 disc and it verified OK over the phone.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Either £56 or £65 Acer want.

Would probably have been better puting the cash towards a new laptop.

Still trying to get hold of My grandaughter to see if Curry's sold her an extended warranty or not.All I know is that it is over 1 year old but less than 2 year old.

I must admit not nearly so many updates with The W/7 SP1 disc which made it all the quicker to install.

I would have imagined the laptop would have come without SP1.So might just use my W/7 Cd instead.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Chronus

Yes replacement has been ordered but just checking to see that i made the correct decision.

If still under warranty Acer should be repairing it.It probably isn't but waiting for a reply from my Grandaughter.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

OK, I would just use the phone to verify after installing Win 7 + SP 1 its painless and free. It will save you an awful lot of time in regards to updates.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

ventad

Not looking good.It has been stuck at the same bit for over 2 Hours.

So looks like i will be switching it off shortly.

Cronus

Being a bank holiday and going for the free deleivery I am not expecting delivery before wednesday.

Only a 5 minute job changing Hard drives.My problem may be after installing all of the updates and installing needed programs that Microsoft will reject it.ButI will not know untill that time comes.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Chronus

Sorry never noticed your last post.

So phone when installed and before updating.Will do that.Will they except the call from me as I am not the owner.If you don't reply I know.

They never gave a phone contact number on the pop up box.I just pressed the phone to confirm box to see where it would take me and nothing happened.

Anyone got a cheap Phone number for them as I will probably be using my Mobile.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I cannot remember the exact sequence but when it says it cannot verify online in then gives you the opportunity to use the automated phone system. It will ask you which country (UK) then give you the number. A row of number of boxes will be on your screen with numbers and letters which you will be prompted to input. If everything is OK,which it will be, you will then be given another load of numbers and letters which you can either write down or,as I do, type them in to the blank boxes that are on the screen after that press OK job done.

I have done this many many times, with XP it seemed that you only looked as though you wanted to change or upgrade something and it would not verify online. With Win 7 I swap out motherboards on a seemingly regular basis and sometimes after a reinstall it will verify online other times I need to go the phone route. I have never had a problem getting it verified and I use the download link I gave you on PC's i repair without any problems be it POEM or retail. Maybe I am just lucky.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Chronus

As you can see I have only reinstalled a couple of times so will follow your instructions and see if I get it right.

Will let you know how I got on. Thanks.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Same as Chronus, but I tend to write them all down first. What is handy, if you miss a number you can press a key and it will be repeated any number of times you wish. If I can do it anyone can :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features