We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer Laptop W/7 64 bit keeps freezing.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Acer Laptop W/7 64 bit keeps freezing.It starts not to bad but as soon as you click on any programs it may take up to 10 minutes for it to appear.

If you click on anything else it tends to freeze for a while.

Some programs will open and run with difficulty others just won't.

Not to bad in safe mode with networking but ever so slow in normal mode and have to wait ages for it to close down with Windows Explorer trying to close I/E takes so long you have press the on off switch to turn the laptop off.

She uses it for University so don't want to loose anything if not nessissary.

Her USB flash drive will not work.So she cannot save any of her work.

Ran sfc /scannow and system repair plus her security programs and nothing been found.

Anyone any ideas before I have to set it back to factory settings tomorrow.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Do you not have a 4GB USB drive either? Would save you having to burn to DVD.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok just let it run without installing and at the finish Windows burner pops up asking you for a CD Or DVD.CD was not big enough so had to put the DVD in and it carried on with burning it,

Now whether it works or not, I know not but will have to look around to see if I can find instructions on how to run a repair on a W/7 Laptop and then give it a try.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Sorry Chronus did not know we were on another page.

Not got a usb drive.Had an external drive but gave it to the grandaughter last year when she was having problems.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Bit of a panic as it installed it wanted to know where about I was and to register Windows.

Thought that it would just give you the options of a repair first.

So beat a hasty retreat in case it installed and I had no drivers for it.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Back to the laptop.

Managed to get HitmanPro to run.It usually takes about 2 minutes on my computer so far it has been running for 42 minutes and it is not finished yet.

Would a faulty hard drive make it run so slow or could it be something else.

Surprised it is running at all some of the other programs do not even start and others run for a short time before freezing.

Not a lot of sound from the Laptop you can hardly hear it.So not sure if the sound is coming from the hard drive or the fan but very quiet all of the time.

Was just wondering if it could be a windows installer problem.

Hitmanpro still running and all it has found is three tracking cookies so far.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I am assuming by your last post tat you have decided that the problem with the laptop is malware related as opposed to a faulty HDD?

Repair install Windows 7 with pictures: Repair. Though I reiterate if the HDD is faulty then it would seem a pointless exercise

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

No I did not think it was Malwware related it was ment to point out how slow it was in normal mode.

She phoned a bit earlier and has decided she just wants to go for the factory restore as she doesn't know when she will be back and needs her Laptop with her.

So just started the restore about 10 minutes ago it asks if you want to save any of the needed files.Thought about it and just clicked yes.Don't know which ones they will be the problem is that there will be more chance that it will not work correctly with the extra files.Will just have to wait and see.

Anyhow thanks every one for all of your help it has been interesting and I have learned a few more things today that will help in the future.[if I have one.]Ho Ho

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just before I started the restore I noticed the date and time was wrong beside the clock and also checked the Bios and it was wrong in there as well.

So maybe a combination of both did not help.Changed the clocks to the right time but there was no difference.

Will get her to keep an eye on the date and time from now on.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Well anyone surprised it does not look as thought it is going to start.

Set up is starting services it says.That was half an hour ago and it is still grinding on the way it was before when it did not want to work.

Only leaves the W/7 disc with SP1 and I cannot see that working either.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Nope wont start.Started switching itself on and off and windows disc will not work if I switch off by pressing the start button as it starts in safe mode then you get a box saying it has to restart because of an error.And that message keeps repeating itself.

So looks like it is a new Hard drive needed for it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?