We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer Laptop W/7 64 bit keeps freezing.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Acer Laptop W/7 64 bit keeps freezing.It starts not to bad but as soon as you click on any programs it may take up to 10 minutes for it to appear.

If you click on anything else it tends to freeze for a while.

Some programs will open and run with difficulty others just won't.

Not to bad in safe mode with networking but ever so slow in normal mode and have to wait ages for it to close down with Windows Explorer trying to close I/E takes so long you have press the on off switch to turn the laptop off.

She uses it for University so don't want to loose anything if not nessissary.

Her USB flash drive will not work.So she cannot save any of her work.

Ran sfc /scannow and system repair plus her security programs and nothing been found.

Anyone any ideas before I have to set it back to factory settings tomorrow.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If it had SP1 you'd need the Win7 SP1 disk otherwise you'd get the message that the version you have is older, or something similar, and it wouldn't work.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok Thanks.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I was going to download the W/7 SP1 link for myself but when I seen the 2.4Gb file it put me off.

Do you download it to the computer then burn to disc or is there an other way.

learning a lot on here in the last couple of days.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You could actually download a copy of Windows 7 with SP1 already slip-steamed in from here. Windows 7 + SP1. This is an ISO so will need burning to DVD. I have copies of them all makes for a simpler reinstall.

But if the HDD is knackered then a repair install will not help at all.But worth a try i suppose.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Chronus

I take it you have to download it to the computer before you can burn it to DVD

Or can you burn it straight to the DVD.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I take it you have to download it to the computer before you can burn it to DVD

That is correct.Or you install via a flash drive.Win 7 USB install.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

That's the same link really and the 64-bit is just over 3GB. You'll need to download the iso file and have a burning program that supports burning isos to DVD.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not got a burning program so I will not bother with going any further at the moment.But may do if push comes to shove.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Here's some tips, http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/burnisofile.htm

Always handy to have a disc if ever you need to do a repair.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I thought you had W7 on your own pc buteman? if so then you can burn .iso's

Burn a CD or DVD from an ISO file Applies to all editions of Windows 7

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......