We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer Laptop W/7 64 bit keeps freezing.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Acer Laptop W/7 64 bit keeps freezing.It starts not to bad but as soon as you click on any programs it may take up to 10 minutes for it to appear.

If you click on anything else it tends to freeze for a while.

Some programs will open and run with difficulty others just won't.

Not to bad in safe mode with networking but ever so slow in normal mode and have to wait ages for it to close down with Windows Explorer trying to close I/E takes so long you have press the on off switch to turn the laptop off.

She uses it for University so don't want to loose anything if not nessissary.

Her USB flash drive will not work.So she cannot save any of her work.

Ran sfc /scannow and system repair plus her security programs and nothing been found.

Anyone any ideas before I have to set it back to factory settings tomorrow.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

rdave13

It does not recognize her Flash drive and will not burn to disk so she cannot remove any of the Documents etc that she needs.

Safe mode works a lot better but normal mode is a waste of time it just keeps freezing.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Do you have time to get one of these. You could hook it up to your PC, via usb, and try to get all the documents, etc, off it. Then replace the HDD and use the restore DVDs?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Don't have restore DVD's just a restore to factory settings as far as I know.

She is going away thursday but I might persuade her to leave the laptop as she is coming back in a fortnight.

How does the caddy work,Does it come with a usb connection on it.Never seen one before never mind used one.

I take it I would just hook it up to my computer and save the contents.

Any idea as to what folder or whatever would hold the restore to factory settings part that I would need.

Nothing shows on my computer.it does on mine.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You place the 2.5 Sata Hdd in the caddy. It comes with a USB connection cable. Once connected to your PC you should see the connecting wizard in your notification area. Possibly installing drivers. If auto play does not open then go to 'Computer' and open the drive that way. Search for the documents, photos etc. (Folders and files). Why hasn't the restore DVDs been created? Heaven knows Acer will nag often enough to do so.

Anyway if they're not created here is a link to download Win 7 SP1, link. Make sure of the right one. 64-bit etc.

Make sure the key is legible underneath the laptop, then you can get all the drivers from the Acer website under help & support with the particular model number.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Should have said, check the key first before trying a re-install.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[Why hasn't the restore DVDs been created]

The same way as she doesn't know how to update her security programs or run them.

Thanks for the W/7 SP1 Link.

Well bedtime for me thanks for all of your help.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Automatic fix system errors works ok But gets stuck on bad clusters when running Chkdsk from my computer tools.

I have run both seperately and it always stick on bad clusters.

Anyway of sorting out the bad clusters or is that telling me it needs a new hard drive.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Grandaughter wants me to restore to factory setting but I cant see that working properly while we have the Hard drive problem.

She is going back Thursday and I cant get any parts delivered before that.

I have got till dinner time to make up my mind.

If I could fix out the bad clusters I would have no hesitation in doing the factory reset.

Computer almost impossible to work in normal mode but I can get around in safe mode a lot better.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Are you sure they're bad clusters rather than bad sectors? If bad sectors then the hard drive is deteriorating and a factory restore won't help. Have a look here.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

It just says scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors when running chkdsk from my computer.

See what you meen it could be any of the two.It just says free clusters processed.Always gets stuck about halfway.

I have a W/7 disc without SP1 could I do a repair with that or would it need to be from Acer or have the SP1 included.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...