We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer Laptop W/7 64 bit keeps freezing.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Acer Laptop W/7 64 bit keeps freezing.It starts not to bad but as soon as you click on any programs it may take up to 10 minutes for it to appear.

If you click on anything else it tends to freeze for a while.

Some programs will open and run with difficulty others just won't.

Not to bad in safe mode with networking but ever so slow in normal mode and have to wait ages for it to close down with Windows Explorer trying to close I/E takes so long you have press the on off switch to turn the laptop off.

She uses it for University so don't want to loose anything if not nessissary.

Her USB flash drive will not work.So she cannot save any of her work.

Ran sfc /scannow and system repair plus her security programs and nothing been found.

Anyone any ideas before I have to set it back to factory settings tomorrow.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Chronus

Unfortunately I dont have one of those aids.

No doubt it would come in handy today but she is back off to liverpool on Thursday.

After about 1.5 hours i finally managed to download and run the Acronis one.

It did report that the drive was partly degraded so not sure what to do now.

I suppose I will have to find out how much for a new drive and where to get one.It would also meen that her restore to factory settings would no longer work.

Not got a clue with laptops never liked them.

According to Acronis it is a Hitachi HTS545032b9a300 Capacity 320.07Gb.

I take it it is just a matter of typing that into google to see what it comes up with.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The laptops I have repaired or replaced the HDD's in I have just bought a 2.5 laptop HDD of whatever size wanted. No need to buy a Hitachi brand.As for the factory restore partition as you have no way of copying it over you do have a problem.Again an adapter would come in handy here.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

£50 for a second hand one.Is there no way of getting them repaired.

Is there any other programs instead of chkdsk that I can run.

Methinks she would be better putting the cash towards a new Laptop.Considering that she doesn't have any cash she had better be nice to Mummy.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Is there no way of getting them repaired. I don't really think so. But there might be something here.

Repair HDD?????

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Chronus

Just noticed the other thread that it does not have to be a Hitachi one.

How would one go about getting a similar one.

And would any make do and are they all the same size and dimentions.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As it's a Win 7 machine it will be a Sata drive. cheapest on Amazon that's OK looks to be this one; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Scorpio-250gb-Internal/dp/B001IKRKO0/ref=sr16?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1333401697&sr=1-6

and fulfilled by Amazon and free delivery.

Also as it's an Acer you should have no problems re-installing if the recovery DVDs were made.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Tiring this, but hopefully the link again.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Looks like the first one worked :)

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

How about this one it is 320Gb the same as her old one.

Do they come with the same fittings and use the same power.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-MK3276GSX-320GB-5400RPM-Internal/dp/B004UGUVU4/ref=pdsxpgridi2_1

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Yeah, just plug & play

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...