We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer Laptop W/7 64 bit keeps freezing.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Acer Laptop W/7 64 bit keeps freezing.It starts not to bad but as soon as you click on any programs it may take up to 10 minutes for it to appear.

If you click on anything else it tends to freeze for a while.

Some programs will open and run with difficulty others just won't.

Not to bad in safe mode with networking but ever so slow in normal mode and have to wait ages for it to close down with Windows Explorer trying to close I/E takes so long you have press the on off switch to turn the laptop off.

She uses it for University so don't want to loose anything if not nessissary.

Her USB flash drive will not work.So she cannot save any of her work.

Ran sfc /scannow and system repair plus her security programs and nothing been found.

Anyone any ideas before I have to set it back to factory settings tomorrow.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Should have added not a lot of noise from the hard drive or Fans You would expect them to be running a bit faster and a bit noisier.

I cant run the Acer updates as I cannot get it to open,

Maybe try a bit later when not running anything else.Not sure if you can run it in safe mode but will give it a try shortly.

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

Just a thought Buteman if you are using IE9 there are two IE9's in 'all programmes' one 64bit and the other 32bit, I used to get that on using 64bit before they came up with an updated 'flash' whilst 32 bit was ok.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

ventad

Not just I/E all programs are poor at opening.Will have a look at flash and Java just to see what she has.Thanks.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Thought that I would run chkdsk just to see if that was clear but it seems to be stuck at the 1 file and has been for the last 30 minutes there has been no movement at all from it.

What happens now will it eventually close down itself or will I have to do it manually.I do hear it is not safe to do that.

Any thoughts from anyone.

Will leave it another 30 minutes and if no movement I will have to close it.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

No option but to switch it off.On rebooting it started again and has just about got to the point where it stopped the last time.So will see what happens.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Stuck at the same bit.

Would it be the hard drive that is faulty and will I have the same problem if I set it back to factory settings.

Stuck at stage 4-5 at 11%

Is there any other tool that can check the Hard drive for faults.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Chronus

Thanks for that I have to go out for an hour but will try them as soon as I get back. Thanks

Just ran chkdsk again and stopping at the same spot so not going to run it again.

Every time I start the laptop it wants to run I know there is a way of stopping it,But have forgot how.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Hi Chronis

Your first one works on mine Ok Can get it to download in safe mode on the laptop but get an error message.

Maybe it will not run in safe mode.

Tried it in Normal mode but cannot get near it as the screen just freezes with Windows Explorer is not responding.

I could do with one that will work in safe mode as I can get around on that not to bad.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You could remove the HDD from the laptop and attach it as an external to a working PC and then run the two programs to check if the HDD is failing. You could also remove all personal files and then reinstall Windows.

I don't know if you possess one of these useful aids? adapter.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features