We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do i need antivirus (Avast) aswell as MSE?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My notebook has microsoft security essentials, do i need Avast/other antivirus too, please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

NO!

two antivirus programs will clash and cause severe problems.

You can backup MSE with more antimalware to get extra security (but don't overdo it)

SpywareBlaster as a blocker

and the free version of Malwarebytes to do a weekly scan just to double check MSE is working correctly will give you a good level of coverage

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

No, you should only have 1 antivirus running in real time, otherwise there are most likely conflicts and no benefit - again most likely system slow down or even lock-up.

IMO best to stick with microsoft security essentials.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thanks for that!! Ok, next question- MSE or Avast?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

You will get votes for each undoubtedly as they are much of a muchness - personally I would have MSE

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

XP Avast

Vista or W7 stick with MSE

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

XP,Vista or 7 I'd go for Avast.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Interesting responses. A recent edition of a rival mag put AVG at the top of the freebies. I've recently uninstalled MSE from a Vista laptop as I found that MSE was slow to update and I had the impression that it slowed system start up.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the help. My gf has a vista laptop and has AVG and Win Patrol working at the same time, her laptop is slower than it should be but she also has SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes which she runs scans on every week.

My plan is to uninstall Win Patrol? And exchange AVG for Avast because i thought i read that Avast is 'lighter' on processing power?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

AVG 2012 is not as bad as earlier versions. I'd go for MSE but, as others have said, Avast is fine. Don't expect a Vista laptop to be as fast as an XP one - that's one reason why W7 came out so quickly!

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you. What about Win Patrol running at the same time? And is Avast supposed to be less processor-hungry than AVG?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...