We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do i need antivirus (Avast) aswell as MSE?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My notebook has microsoft security essentials, do i need Avast/other antivirus too, please?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Win Patrol is not an antivirus, so can run as well (same as Superantispyware and Malwarebytes). I've never used it or found a need for it, but it's an individuals choice!

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

It's just tha SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes don't run permanently in the background where as Win Patrol does you see?

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

WinPatrol is not an antivirus program - it's an app to monitor your programs. Can be safely run with other anti-malware programs.

Here is the official description of WinPatrol:

WinPatrol PLUS allows you to efficiently monitor programs running on your computer without slowing you down or hogging all your memory.

*WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you in real-time to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. You'll be notified of critical system changes and have access to over 30,000 easy to understand program descriptions. Must have addition to your current AV protection.*

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thanks. So is not a heavy user of processor power then?

Ok, please can i have your opinion on Avast being less of a processor-burden than AVG?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes Avast is lighter than AVG

Avast also monitors start up programs so you will not need Winpatrol as well.

Have AVAST on an XP desktop system running fast

Have AVG on a Vista laptop, faster CPU and more mem than XP system, but runs slower (came with it on not got round to removing it yet).

tried MSE on XP and Vista found to be slower than AVAST or AVG but is ideal for computer novices as it runs / auto updates without any user action.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

As ever, thank you Fruit bat!!!

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you. I have vista though, not 7 (I should have said)

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Quick question: My gf has SuperAntiSpyware, i see that Microsoft Defender is also on her laptop whic, i believe, is antispyware. Shall i uninstall one?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Quick question: My gf has SuperAntiSpyware, i see that Microsoft Defender is also on her laptop which, i believe, is antispyware. Shall i uninstall one?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I also have both

defender working in real time

and SAS as a backup weekly scanner to check nothing is getting past defender.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015