We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Excel, Copy formulae and paste - Will not paste!!!

compumac

Likes # 0

I have been doing spreadsheets for years and suddenly my mind has gone blank. Problem: The values of 'A, B and C' are totalled in column 'D' I insert a formula in 'D' and it totals A. B and C' I then copy the formula in 'D' downwards and receive the message "Data on the clipboard is not the same shape and size as the selection, do you want to paste the data anyway"

My actual problem is more convoluted than above but has been shown to simplify the situation.

Reason???

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Update: I tried to copy and paste on other tabs on the same spreadsheet with the same result I then opened a fresh spreadsheet and tried the copy and paste within in that - the same result. I looked on the web for others with the same problem and despite there being a fair number of posts relating to the problem there did not appear to be an answer. However I shut down and then restarted Excel and lo and behold all is working as it has done for the past 20+ years!!

How?

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

That is typical of the message you receive if, somewhere in the range(es) concerned, you have some merged cells.

I'd bet next weeks lottery ticket that's where the issue is!

(I must add the caveat that I'm often wrong!)

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

simsy This particular problem was displayed on one spreadsheet that is in use every day and the copied range does not include any merged cells at all. The particular copy and paste data is something that has been done on this spreadsheet has been done for the past eight years without this problem showing.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

In which case I stand corrected... and have to suspect a corrupted file!

Have you tried it on a different machine, in case it's a machine problem, rather than a file problem?

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

simsy.

I thought it might be a corrupted file, but whilst it was open I created a new spreadsheet and the problem existed within that new spreadsheet. The difficulty is that it has happened just twice, both in the last two or three days and when restarting Excel it does not not reproduce the same problem. I have also copied the data into a fresh spreadsheet and it was OK. But unless the problem is there every time it is nigh impossible to determine the cause.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund