We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fixing corrupt files

john bunyan

Likes # 0

I had a few cases of "Internet explorer has stopped working", Looked up the problem and am following MS advice in stages.(W7,64bit) Have latest Video drivers. Ran Sfc/scannow. This reported some unfixable corrupt files but when I tried to open the text file in windir\logs\CBS\CBS.log Access was denied. How to proceed? I have the CD etc.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Is it only I/E you are having the problem with.If so can you not just delete it in add remove turn windows features on or off then reinstall it again.

Just untick it let it do the rest.

Obviously you would need another browser to use if you delete I/E.

Worth a try if nothing else works.

Best of luck hope you manage to get it fixed.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

buteman

Thanks. There is no specific problem, but I would like to fix it if possible. A recent symptom is a "false" message that Internet explorer has stopped responding, but it has not! I can use IE9 still. Was hoping fruit bat might see this or someone with a particular interest in this type of thing. I think there is a repair option using the CD but in view of the updates etc would prefer not to do a complete reinstall.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think I will give up on this. Maybe the files do not matter much - a bit like those red warnings in eventvwr.Would like to have done a repair with CD but not a reinstall.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I recently did a 'Repair Install'/In-place Upgrade on my upstairs Desktop.

SFC was failing.

Simple enough. Run setup (don't boot with DVD).

Instructions here with screenshots

It did indeed fix my SFC checker, but annoyingly broke Homegroup and I have not had chance to fix that.

I can still get access but had to recreate some permissions.

There were other bits and bobs needed fixing to. Forget which now. Nothing major.

Funnily enough, SFC broke again, soon after. I had created a new System Image on my ext drive soon after so I restored that.

The PC (and HDD) are 8 yrs old. I 'often' have to run chkdsk. I suspect that is my real problem.

I use my laptop downstairs mainly and not had chance or inclination to do anything else upstairs.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

robinofloxley Thanks - I will study closely what you did and make an image before fixing!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Not sure if the hassle of all the updates etc make it worth doing as the problems do not seem great.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 review: Hands-on with the new Samsung Galaxy. Samsung's flagship is more iPhone-lr......

IDG UK Sites

5 things we hate about MWC: What it's like to be a journalist at a technology trade show

IDG UK Sites

Ractive powers The Guardian's interactive infographics – and lets novice coders build complex...

IDG UK Sites

What does that mean? A jargon-buster dictionary of tech terms for Apple fans