We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Word Processing - Lost page

Glen

Likes # 0

My wife has a W7 laptop and uses Open Office. Twice in the last 6 months she has disastrously lost the first page of a complex two page document. After working for many hours,regularly saving her work, she has got to the end, and found the first page gone. The document is still listed under its correct title, but only page two comes up. The hard drive contains very little and is easy to search, both manually and using the search function. The missing page is not in the Recycle bin either. Can anyone tell me how this happened? Could a false move on the keyboard have done this? Short of printing each page as it is completed, how can it be prevented in future. The whole document took a number of hours to complete, with a meal break in the middle.She has now reverted to doing the Agenda and minutes in longhand! Should I start using Libre Office instead? Help please. Glen

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

When you say only page 2 is left, I presume you mean the contents of what was page 2 is now on page 1. And the complete document has now only got one page instead of two pages.

Or do you mean that page 1 has become a blank page (text gone from view) and the document still has two pages?

If so is it possible that there are now actually three pages not two?

page 1 (text that you thought was lost),

page 2 (blank and you thought was page 1),

page 3 (that you thought was only page 2)

Writer should 'flow' onto page 2 when page 1 is full (just keep typing it goes onto next page automatically), is it possible wife is pressing Ctrl+Enter to insert a page that might cause there to be a blank page between the two with text on?

The only way I know of to delete a complete page along with the text, is to have all the text selected and then press delete.

I suppose it's not possible now to find out the exact circumstances (what keyboard presses etc)? or maybe you could experiment to reproduce the 'problem'.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I will suggest what might be considered a lunatic suggestion but has actually happened to myself. I had a document of several pages and had been selecting various entries in the text and changing the colour of the text to emphasise a point. At some juncture I had mistakenly selected, as I thought one colour, but must have inadvertently clicked on white. The pages being white did not therefore show the selected text and I did not realise at the time. It took me quite some time to realise what I had done. As I said - lunatic suggestion but........

Like this post
Glen

Likes # 0

Thanks LOTVIC. There is only one page left & no blank page. The remaining page has the page 2 text. No sign at all of another page. She definitely did not select and delete, or use Ctl+enter. Also she did not try to open a new page, but used the 'Flow through'to page 2. Thanks also to COMPUMAC but she definitely did not change text colour (doesn't know how to yet). Unfortunately she is now back to pen/pencil and paper. I am told that Open Office is getting a bit old, and Libre Office is more up-to-date. Would that be a more reliable Word Processor? Glen

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

re Libre Office, not used it as now got MS office, so cannot offer an opinion other than it should be okay. ClickHere for history and comparison of the two.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad