We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

disabled content in microsoft access?

theDarkness
Resolved

Likes # 0

With some of my own created old access databases, now using ms office access 2007 in vista, upon opening I get a 'security warning:-certain content in the database has been disabled', with further options to either protect me from this content or not. My databases show absolutely identical content, whether the unknown content is blocked or not. The only difference is the change in saved database file size (eg with the 'certain content' blocked, one database is 800kb, with it allowed, its over 2MB.

How common are these (what I believe) macros related warnings from old saved databases, which may have been created using other program versions? Upon enabling them with all content allowed, my antivirus does not detect anything-im not 100% on how macro works

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I can't comment on how common this is, but I'd take it as evidence of Microsoft's continuing attempts to make life difficult - sorry, I meant 'protect users from their own stupidity'. I'd guess Access 2007 views pretty much any old macro as a suspicious executable. I doubt you have a problem - merely an annoyance.

Like this post  
Diemmess

Likes # 0

I'd guess Access 2007 views pretty much any old macro as a suspicious executable. said Ian in Northampton. I agree with him.

Word and Excel can play with earlier versions, not so Access. Many years back when I first bought Access (1997 on floppys) and climbed the very steep leaning curve, used lots of macros and fancied I'd done something rather clever.

A period of disuse, the skills faded, and now I can only use certain parts of these masterpieces. Have worked around the problems mostly to avoid using Access at all. Bone-idle and sad, that's me.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

thanks for the replies. In a test, I created a new database in 2007, saved it as an access 2007 database, and the macros warning DOES appear when I re-open it. So its got nothing to do with being an old database after all. The only way the warning does not appear is if I create, save and re-open a new access file that doesnt contain any tables - so its a default warning for ALL database files. I wish I could find out if any macros warnings really were relating to truly untrustworthy files, if that was ever to happen. If my antivirus can only pick up macros viruses after opening infected databases, then I can see why microsoft would want to warn everyone on every single database you attempt to open. If my antivirus can detect and remove them before opening however, then you would surely know you are taking a chance, no different to downloading and running any file from any website you arent 100% sure of. So the warning could then be labelled as nothing more than a nuisance in itself...?

in this case it doesnt matter since its my own database, so im pretty sure it hasnt been modified (!) and I can run and update it with nothing missing. thankfully its easy to automatically remove the messages in access:

(top left of screen office button > access options > trust centre > trust centre settings > message bar > never show information about blocked content)

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

ps I am assuming with macro code disabled within the database, this simply removes all related content/references, resulting in the smaller file size?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's a MS pain feature - MS Decide whether to trust a database

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

thanks for the link. I know now that the macros warnings are completely unrelated to the file size in access: In access, regarding file size, there is the option to shrink it (access options>current database>compact on close) but access confuses as it can shrink the file size, even when this option has not been ticked :(

for eg:

Hitting that red X on the top right of the screen will auto save, and keep my file at its original size, when compact on close is off.

Hitting that red X on the top right of the screen will auto save and compress, when "compact on close" is on.

If I "file>save as" instead, with compact close on OR off, it will compress regardless.

thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today