We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Slow download speed PLEASE HELP!

c4llum

Likes # 0

So my problem is this; I am with bt on the "up to 8Mb/s" unlimited plan (fibre is not available in my area, sadly). Although my exchange is upgrading to adsl2+ on April 2nd which will upgrade me to "up to 20Mb/s". I am very close to my exchange and when i run speed tests (primarily speedtest.net although other speedtests give the same results) they say that my download speed is about 6.7 Mb/s (higher when not at peak times like right now). Except when i download files (games through steam, torrents and just general files online through my browser) i never pass 850Kb/s and am usually at about 750Kb/s. Is this normal? and if it is what causes it? or am i just being screwed by my isp? i also get an absolutely terrible upload speed of 0.27Mb/s. Now luckily i don't upload all that often and i know that upload if often significantly less than download but 0.27Mb/s, really? again is this to be expected? oh and i get a good ping of 35-47ms (usually 35) although this can fluctuate wildly. Any and all help is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

c4llum,

"Except when i download files (games through steam, torrents and just general files online through my browser) i never pass 850Kb/s and am usually at about 750Kb/s. Is this normal?"

How are you measuring the "850Kb/s and am usually at about 750Kb/s" speed?

"Ok but i download hundreds of gigabytes of data a month"

Sounds like a good enough reason for BT to manage your traffic. Perhaps BT can see that you are using bit torrent, even though you try to hide it.

Peter.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Well we all keep asking what software is monitoring the file download and upload speed, but you haven't answered that question yet (we are not talking about the speedtests through speedtest.net etc).

I am puzzled that you quote your file download speed in Kb/s but your upload is quoted in Mb/s.

My download manager gives me the measurements in KBps

Like this post
c4llum

Likes # 0

@lotvic Oh right sorry. Going back and reading by post it was pretty vituperative; i was not in the best mood. When I quote my download speed as 6.7Mb/s and upload as 0.27/Mb/s that is what speedtest.net gives me. How i know the speed i get when i download files is that they tell me. When i download a game on steam it tells me the speed it is currently downloading and when i download a file trough Firefox (chrome is my main browser but i find their downloader to be better) it does the same (gives me a readout) and in both applications it never tops 850Kb/s. I also see my speed though other means sometimes such as when i am updating a program sometimes they will give a readout of the speed the files are downloading at and,again, this speed never tops 850Kb/s

@peter

My downloading a lot of data is not a reason for BT to manage my traffic as i am on a unlimited policy. Of course "unlimited" only stretches so far; they have a fair usage policy. But from what i have heard from others this is usually around 500gb to 600gb a month and you have to keep this up. I download around 350gb to 400gb per month and anyway before they cut down on your speed they sent you a letter and phone you up first to warn you that if you don't cut down a bit for a little while they will have to slow you down. Oh and they can't see i am using bit torrent because when i say i "anonymise" it i mean i encrypt all the bit torrent traffic coming to me and leaving me and use a vpn so all this traffic is sent through a server somewhere else in the world and these servers don't keep records of the ip addresses that connect to them. It is currently impossible for my ip to know i downloading something via bit torrent when i am following this procedure. And that is ignoring the fact that as i have stated several times this speed carries across all applications not just bit torrent.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

c4llum,

In my humble, and possibly limited, experience, download speeds, when checked with the likes of Speednet etc., are shown as Mbps (note the lower case b) i.e. mega bits per second, whereas file downloads usually show KBps (note the uppercase B) i.e. kilo Bytes per second. Bytes & bits again.

Peter.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Does it take you about 1 hour to download 3GB?

I hope you take notice of Peter's posts. My Firefox download manager shows speed in kB/sec (kiloBytes/sec) Bandwidth conversion calculator put your 6.7 Mbps speed that you got from speedtest.net in the top box and click on Calculate, then look at the chart to see it expressed in kilobytes.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

This posting / thread has gone very quiet.

c4llum, has your problem been solved or are you still having trouble with your broadband speeds?

Peter.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Peter,only guessing but that might possibly be because download speed of 6.70 Mbits/sec equates to 837.50KBytes/sec (3.02 GB per hour) according to the Bandwidth calculator link in my previous post.

Will have to wait to see if OP posts back to say whether he has sorted it out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded