We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Itunes duplication?

collinsc

Likes # 0

Hi

I recently transferred all my itunes on to my new laptop, took ages but finally did it. Some songs though on first glance appear to be duplicated i.e. all same details but different 'date added' - because id made so many half-a$$ed attempts!

So, on first glance, obvious, duplicated, delete one from the itunes window... but, if you delete one and that line disappears then the other line with the details (original file not found) although still there is no longer able to find the tune to play!

help!

thanks

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

When you installed iTunes and signed in with your Apple ID, your existing files may have been retrieved automatically, so that transferring them manually would result in duplication.

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

Thanks. well, im not convinced they are duplicated, why if i delete one from the itunes list will the other disappear? it is like you can view the song twice in i tunes but it is only installed on the laptop in one location?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

What I would do is as follows: 1. If you use CCleaner, set it not to delete items from the recycle bin. 2> In iTunes, File / Show Duplicates. Then on a tune that is duplicated, tight click and press "Show in Windows Explorer". Do this a few times and you should find out what is happening. If you then delete a duplicate in error you can restore it from the recycle bin.

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

Thanks John - i have just done this, they are showing in windows explorer only once... so, it looks like they are not duplicated but are being shown twice for some reason - i guess this is because the 'date added' are different, however i dont see why by removing one of the rows from itunes that would mean the file behind the other one would be removed -

nb; 'album by artist' is also different. 'album by artist' is a default column. i.e. a duplicate shows:

album by artist ARTIST Millenium Disk T REX T REX T REX

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

collinsc

You can choose what columns you want to have by , in iTunes, Music,select: view ten tick or untick what you want. I have: Album,Artist,Genre,Last Played, Time, Rating. I have not ticked the Album Artist column option.I suspect somehow in your importing process these "duplicates" have appeared. A bit laborious but maybe go through , in the music mode, the duplicates and right clock to see if Windows explorer can find it, and delete those it cant.

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

T REX ?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

"right clock to see if Windows explorer can find it, and delete those it cant."

thanks john - that wont get rid of any duplicate rows though, it will just delete the rows with no tune behind it, and the duplicate rows will remain because it will find the same tune behind each row...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen