We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Replacing Office Starter 2010, with Student Home 2010

Ex plorer
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi my desk top came with MS Office Starter 2010. I want to load the Office Home Student to the PC.

Will Starter remain or be over written.

Would it be best to delete Starter 2010 before loading Home Student. I have been unable to find a answer on Google to give a straight answer.

Is there any way of testing the office 2010 soft ware prior to loading or after loading to see if its genuine.

I paid top price but its just that I would like to make sure and do some thing about it if not.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 1

"After putting in the product number untick the online activation as this will slow down instalation."

Online activation during the installation shouldn't make a significant difference.

"I do not want to load this if its not genuine,"

If it is genuine, you should have both the 25 character Product Key and a COA (Certificate of Authenticity). If you don't have the COA, return it and get a copy from somewhere else.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Would have been cheaper and safer to buy from software4students.co.uk they've got Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus on offer for £37.89p. (offer ends tomorrow)

Maybe send the Amazon seller one back for a refund? doesn't sound genuine to me, you could always ring microsoft and get the product key checked out.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I have contacted the seller through Amazon. I Goggled the Product key of 25 characters and it seems to be all over the net mostly in foreign countries to activate MS software of differing kinds.

No COA was in the package.

I will give the seller a chance to reply and an explanation or give me a refund before taking any further steps.

Thanks for replies and advice I will post any further development.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Notify Amazon of your concerns immediately. The seller will just disappear if they are running a scam.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

After contacting seller via Amazon I had a refund and today I will be sending the MS Disk back.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That's good, glad you've got your money back ok.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Don't user it myself, but ....

Starter will probably be over-written, in any case what does it matter, you can always delete Starter after installing Student if necessary - I am sure that the Software itself will tell you during Installation.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I installed MS Office Home & Student 2011 (2011 is the Mac version) a couple of days ago and I'm sure it prompted with an option if the Starter Edition was already installed. In my case this wasn't relevant, but just run the installation and follow the prompts.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I buy from and trust Amazon as I have bought from them for years and will continue to do so.

Hi I have looked up on Amazon for the buyer where I bought the Office Home Student 2010.

The disk came in a bubble bag envelope in a paper sleeve.

The only other thing in the bubble envelope was an A4 with instructions there is no name, address, telephone number or email address with the package.

Instructions loading the MS Disk After putting in the product number untick the online activation as this will slow down instalation. You can do this later?.

I cant find the dealer selling any further MS software home office etc.

The Part no on the disk is x10-92837 its two thirds yellow and white on the lower half of the disk.

When putting this number in Google the Google page is blocked by WOT.

I have put the name of the seller in Google search and the page comes up and is blocked by WOT.

I do not want to load this if its not genuine, it may contain viruses and other such bugs.

Cost just short of £80 and its looking grim to me.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Contact Amazon

I would give Amazon a call, I am sure they will help if at all possible. My Link is for Amazon UK.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features