We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

OS Clone/HDD Swap?

DaleF
Resolved

Likes # 0

I need a little assistance to a problem I have with my setup for my HDD's. I currently have two merely small HDD for my OS & Programs however due to getting the computer originally with the 80GB pre-installed with Windows 7, I installed some programs and what not before getting a new HDD. I then got a 200GB HDD later on from a friend, as HDD prices hit the roof and I was broke at the time, I installed and used this as my secondary HDD for some of my programs & files.

I now have the issue where I want everything on my 200GB HDD, however due to everything being split I'm unsure how to tackle this and have all my software/games & files working properly and in the right place. Most of my software installed I can no longer re-install due to no longer having the disks to hand as I recently moved.

So basically, would there be a way to move my OS from the 80GB included some of the software with it onto the 200GB and have everything working nicely. I've cloned OS before and I know how to do it, but this time I'm a little stuck due to using 2 HDD's instead of one. If any other info is needed I can provide.

Thanks!

Like this post
DaleF

Likes # 0

It was set as active yes, no letter can be assigned the field is greyed out which seemed quite off, and yes I had to re-install the 80GB again to get back online. I can check the rebuild MBR, what is that exactly? In brief so I no what its doing?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

MBR is the Master Boot Record. A hiiden track on the disk. After clicking Rebuild MBR, don't forget Apply again.

I can't understand why Change Letter is suddenly greyed out from the boot disk.

Try setting the drive letter in Partition Wizard while you are still in Windows to anything. eg F:

Then Rebuild MBR for Disk 2.

(reboot without 1st drive or CD). If it don't work reboot with CD and see if Change Letter is still unavailable and try another rebuild MBR.

If not and I am short of ideas apart from trying a Partition Clone with Easeus Todo Backup (it will allow clone to unallocatted space) Would mean deleting the 2nd 74.9GB and starting again.

Like this post
DaleF

Likes # 0

I'll give this another attempt, if not I'll just have to keep it the way it is, It seems a little risky with all my files and what not, I have a lot backed up safely but other programs and games I don't want to lose ideally due to not having the CD's to re-install. We shall see if this works.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Like this post
DaleF

Likes # 0

Well that never went well at all, I set the partition as not active, to retry and activate it again as the letter was grayed out again, however as I did this, it wiped the entire other partition completely.

So, Its clear to say, this went badly aha! I'll have to figure a way of gaining what I can back from where I can!

Thanks for the help anyway! :)

Like this post
DaleF

Likes # 0

However, in a weird way this will work to my advantage, I'll merge the 200GB partitions & copy the OS from the 80GB to it, this will then work in a sort of way I wanted it to, however I lost everything!

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I think you will make things worse that way.

If you want, click the Disk and Select Partition Recovery (above Rebuild MBR).

But I suspect it's worth giving up just now. (it was only a copy of your working C drive anyway.

You could try the clone alternative with Easeus (from Windows, less rebooting)

Select Clone/Partition. Options along the way will be SSD and Sector by Sector (don't select) and Set Active (set).

This should just recopy as Partition Wizard should have done. Up to you if you want to try.

In any event, I think it may be important you save up for another USB external drive. If you are not fully backed up and you haven't a lot of space to mess around.

With say at least a 500GB drive, you can Image your 80GB and 200GB drives in full easily (Easeus also does that).

Then you could, say, recover the Images back to a blank 200GB HDD as you main drive.

Discs will fail one day.

I am sorry my suggestions were fruitless in the end. Annoys me too and can't think why.

Make another screenshot now and one if you MUST make further changes, tonight. I'll be on briefly tomorrow am, then tomorrow evening.

Like this post
DaleF

Likes # 0

Well I'm running the basics of my system at the moment, which is my OS & some programs installed, Microsoft Office 2010, browsers & what not.

Recovering the 115GB of programs, files and such doesn't seem plausible or possible. I'm unsure why it randomly wiped the entire partition with everything on when I only set the partition to not active for the Local System files not the other partition with all my files on. Which I think you mis-understood in my post before. I have the copy of the OS, I lost the other files I was attempting to save!

Annoying as it stands, I'll try my original idea, and if no prevail, I have my windows disc handy, buy a nice new 500GB HDD & restart from scratch, not ideal but... I didn't setup my system correctly in the first place!

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Mornin. No I thought the 74GB had gone, not the 115GB.

Definitely run the Partition Recovery Wizard on Disk 2. From Partition Wizard. It's very quick.

Like this post
DaleF

Likes # 0

I tried and nothing came back from the recovery which was even more frustrating, I'm at the stage where I have the OS and some files on the 80GB & the 200GB is a merged blank partition.

I tried norton ghost 15.0 to clone my 80GB over and run the OS, and that hasn't allowed me either. Is there any way I can literally clone 80GB onto 200GB into 1 partition? So it runs as if it was just merged across?

Then I can work upwards from that point?

Or when the cloning is done it will place it into a folder that can't be run properly in a separate partition?

Thanks for the assistance again!

PS: The volume letter changing was grayed out still when I went back onto it this morning.

Like this post
DaleF

Likes # 0

I'm using the EaseUS partition software with the cloning function, all seems well to the part where it clones my 80GB into a individual partition, which is not what I want to achieve, is there no way to keep the entire 200GB as one partition?

Some screen shots of the part I'm on: (The sliders don't move anywhere)

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8562/screen1ac.png

Any tips or should I just freshly install & start from scratch?

The original idea was to get everything onto the 200GB & have it as one partition, not multiple.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Tips for selling on eBay: auction tactics to get the best price for second-hand products