We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice on choosing a host

stevesunley

Likes # 0

I have put together a simple static web site for my fishing club. I now need to choose a host and would be gratefull for advice.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

That's a little like asking someone which car you should buy.

There are so many hosting companies, and all of them fulfil the basic requirement - that of being able to host a simple web site. Your choice depends very much on how much you are prepared to pay.

I tend to recommend a company called Heart Internet for the simple reason that I have used it for hosting clients' web sites for quite a few years. My experience has been good - the service has been reliable. Other people may have other preferences.

Like this post
stevesunley

Likes # 0

Thanks for the recommendation.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

With the demise of Microsoft Office Live, I am also looking for a host. I have had a free trial of 1&1, but it seems to use your own Domain, you have to transfer it to them. Will Heart Internet not require me to do this?

Like this post
MarkJ12

Likes # 0

A host I would recommend is Vidahost.com. They have a Starter package which only costs £29 a year including the domain.

They have 2GB of space, 25GB of bandwidth and the ability of hosting 6 websites.

More information on that package can be found here: https://www.vidahost.com/web-hosting/package/starter-package

If you want to save another 10% off the price you could always use a promotional code: VIDAHOST10OFF.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED