We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

reel to reel transfer

spasimodo

Likes # 0

Hi All! I have a good few open reel tapes, mainly of old rock bands I was in. Is there any simple way to transfer these to my hard drive?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You will need an analogue to digital converter. You can get a converter online, at computer stores and at audio stores. It will have input jacks for RCA cables from the tape player, a converter box and a USB cable for output.

Read more: How to Record From Reel to Reel to CD | eHow.co.uk http://www.ehow.co.uk/how5082458record-reel-reel-cd.html#ixzz1qXQ29iHy

Or you can have it done professionally - I can't imagine it will be cheap!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Here is the correct link - http://www.ehow.co.uk/how5082458record-reel-reel-cd.html

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Will try again - enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Choice here at Amazon - enter link description here

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Why will he need a digital to analogue convertor all he needs is to connect to the line in input on the PC . >The problem is what is the output connections form the tape deck If you have line out then just connect upand use something like Audacity which is free to record with. If its something like a Din output then a simple Din to phono adaptor would do

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Also if the Reel to reel tape recorder has a headphone socket, a phono lead with a male plug at each end, with the PC end into the microphone socket. Ideally your PC would have a sound card. Then you have to capture the music in real time using suitable software - I use Roxio Creator 2010, but free Audacity would be fine.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

I've been using Audacity for years to copy my reel-to-reel, cassette, and vinyl music to my PC. As others have mentioned, provided your PC has a sound card, all you need to do is connect your tape machine's line-out to the sound card's line-in. If you don't have a line-out, a headphone output will do instead, but in that case the tape machine's volume control will alter the volume of the recording -- with line-out the volume and tone controls on the machine don't affect what's going out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room