We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC "stuck"

jhbodde

Likes # 0

My PC was left running yesterday as normal and has got stuck with a black screen. I have unplugged everything, including all network connections, since previously, updates have caused the network to fail and required a reboot. This time, however, nothing is having any effect. The PC light just flashes, fans work, the keyboard lights flash once briefly and then nothing else happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

On a clean USB thumb drive copy the files (from a harddrive) :

Boot.ini ntdetect.com ntldr.com

Disconnect all other drives and devices, insert thumb drive and boot machine.

This will -unless your CPU has failed- bring up the start screen text and finish with c:\

If this fails then your CPU (at least) has failed

If sucessful then you need to check all components in the machine carefully especially the Graphics card and Memory (unplug -wipe with soft tissue - Use a soft (artist style) brush to clean any slots and reassemble.

Check all cables for connection and /or fraying (rubbing against something)

If all appears Ok connect one drive and try.

Terry

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Sorry had to rush away before I could finish my last post.

Do you get any beeps? Do you see a post screen normally seen shortly after pressing the power on button?

Like this post
jhbodde

Likes # 0

Thanks to everybody for taking the time to post suggestions. I tried most of them but in the end, but felt out of my depth, so have just taken the wounded beast to the local repair shop. All your efforts much appreciated & what a great forum!

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Why did you hoover the pc, some electric static hoovers can cause electricity and burn out the motherboard.

If you need to clean the inside use a paint brush and make sure you ground yourself or you could cause greater harm than good.

Look on the net for for how to clean the computer.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Rdave13 if you look in the reply box when you write an article you can see an icon that is the planet with two green arrows on it. if you click on it a box will open that is where you paste a web address. Just delete the http// in the hyperlink and then paste.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback