We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

AVG internet security - renewal

Diemmess
Resolved

Likes # 0

An old friend who is only 90 yrs now .... and is progressively losing his sight. He has a problem with renewal of his AVG Internet security. I spent nearly an hour on the phone to him and at last after having him forward his email spotted the "Download" button which he hadn't seen! He said when had used the download button that the screen had gone white with nothing on it! (his eyesight is awful so I'm unsure of what he is doing.

I will have to make a 20mile round trip to see the man and want to set it for him, so anyone please with experience of full strength AVG ---

1). Is this version of AVG too cumbersome for his ageing computer? (O.S. is XP)

2).What must I look out for when I'am face to face with this problem?

3).I confess I changed to Avast a couple of years ago, but don't wish to scrap his choice of AVG since that is what he wants?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

You can take control of his computer from your computer to save you a journey and may come in handy if he has any further problems.

Now the problem is I have never tried it before so you would need to get advice from someone that knows.

I must admit when I used AVG I could not get on with it's firewall so i just used Windows Firewall instead.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

AVG has free has become a bit bloatedAvastis lighter but requires a separate firewall for XP.

however if he's paying for the full version and used to it then best to stick with it at his age.

HAve you shown him the Accessability items under Accessories? magnifier and or narrator may prove useful if his sight is going.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

His internet messages all have a red X in the boxes, and the vital download naturally did not perform. He was confused over the nature of of that emailed receipt, believing he had already downloaded, and would be charged over again!

Having "permitted" the download, AVG did the rest. The licence number was already there. Slight alarm when it proudly announced that it was Uninstalled. No worries because without a prompt it installed the new version and updated.

Phew! I'm glad I didn't do this to my (faster) PC - 50.0 Mb of overblown, much more than he needs, but it had been his decision and thus we were both. happy.

Thanks to all for info and reassurance.

I tried changing

Like this post  
buteman

Likes # 0

Looks like it has a couple of new extras in it now.

http://blogs.avg.com/product-news/avg-2012-software-update-fine-tuning-engine/

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

I have had AVG Security since it was issued. Goes fine and does what it says on the tin without problems. There is an unresolved difficulty with MS Outlook which I use for email but this does not really bother me. I still have XP.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......