We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop Charger

torcha1

Likes # 0

I have just recently replaced the motherboard on an acer aspire 1 ZG5 notebook, I then proceed to put the charger into the DC Jack, I put it in seen the orange light come on, then go straight, so I removed the charger from the DC Jack, Then I checked the Charger to note that it was the wrong one, IE: 19V 3.42A, But it should have been 19V 1.58A. So my question is, could I have totally damaged the mother board. It was plugged in for less than 5 seconds, I have now ordered the correct charger, in the hope I have done no damage, If I have done some damage what would that be, if anyone knows, Any answers will be appreciated. Thanks

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

Currently, the only way you are going to know is when you get your new charger of the correct voltage/amp. but I would doubt if any damage has been done.

Like this post
torcha1

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply northumbria61, I was hoping that was the case, as I have used the wrong charger in a Laptop before, but not a small notebook, fingers crossed when charger arrives, I will update here, so others are aware, for future.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 1

Normally with these type of things nowadays, there should be protection devices installed. I would doubt as to whether you have caused any damage, but as stated, only the correct 'approved' charger will give you a possible answer to your question.

The reason why I have suggested 'approved', is due to the fact that most manufacturer's try to sell their own products, because they might consider other charging device unreliable?.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

It should not be a problem. Power packs come in different "capacities" (e.g. 3.42A and 1.58A in the case in question), but as long as the voltage is correct for the device (19V is usual for a laptop), it should only draw as much as it needs.

You are more likely to have a problem if the power pack was underrated (e.g. 0.5A) as the laptop might well try to draw more than 0.5A and overheat the powerpack.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

19V 3.42A, But it should have been 19V 1.58A.

The voltage is the important thing here - you have the correct voltage so no problem.

the charger you plugged is is capable of delivering twice the current of the other however the board will only take the current it needs.

So again you will not have done any damage. :0)

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

The National Grid is many, many Megawatts and Amps.

But it doesn't blow a 60W lightbulb. Same principle. The lightbulb will only take its 60W.

Capability and capacity are not the killer for power sources.

If the inner and outer jack are the same polarity (+/-) that is also OK. But used to be more of a killer. Nowadays most laptops seem to be the same. Look on the label for the (o)- + and - symbol logo.

A good technique, when taking a guess, is connecting for 2 or 3 or max 5 secs. If LEDs light, the polarity is correct. But I always Google further first. You can damage in a fraction of a second on old (and new) unprotected equipment..

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

"Currently, the only way you are going to know is when you get your new charger of the correct voltage/amp. but I would doubt if any damage has been done."

Very good, northumbria61 - I spotted it, even if no-one else did... :-)

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Watt are you talking about, Ian?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

What with this and the drivers thread, it's turning into a pleasantly silly day in the Helproom. Must be the weather... :-)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ian, we got silvermoused along with Robart :)) Never did get back to garden to dig those holes. lol (for others info: spam post from Robart and our comments)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite