We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot Install Flash

hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Hi

Just reinstalled Windows 7. Now a site wants me to install Flash, which I have unsuccessfully tried to do in Firefox. It downloads, but when I install it, it then gives me "unknown error" and that is as far as I get.

It was for a survey site, yet the survey continued ok without it, but I guess i will have the same recurring problem.

thanks

h

Like this post
hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Hi

Much to my dismay I find I now cannot install Adobe Reader 10.1.2 either. Again just like Flash, it goes to 96% than after a while this error nessage:

Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly component

{B708EB72-AA82-3EB7-8BBO-D845BA35C93D}. HRESULT: 0X80070BC9.

The download page said I may have to disable anti-virus during installation. I never had to do that before (using MSE). But this time I installed AVG. Is there an issue with it or should I try disabling it?

Alternately I have an earlier installation file of Adobe Reader on a memory stick Im sure; maybe I should try that? What could be happening?

thanks

h

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

It could well be AVG that's stopping it. Disable and try again. Personally, I would have stuck with MSE!

Like this post
hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Thanks

I've just tried it however, with AVG disabled, and exactly the same thing, it stops at 96%

h

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe try installing in safe mode or with your firewall turned off.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Did you do a Full fresh install, or a re-install (Upgrade) If it was an upgrade your old files will still be there under windows old. If that is the case delete the adobe and flash files if they are showing.

Like this post
hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Actually on this occasion I installed a brand new hard drive, then an original copy of Windows 7.

I did find the error on a google search and it recommended a fix for it, but I wanted to see what you guys thought first! Heres the link:

http://www.wiki-errors.com/wiki-errors.php?wiki=0X80070BC9

Perhaps I should try that..?

thnx h

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Give it a go. I just find my Desktop is misbehaving after a W7 Repair Install a couple of weeks ago.

Exact same problem as you with YouTube and BBC vids.

Last night at 3am, YouTube Flash updater link was failing on install at 40% or so.

Just tried BBC News main page video link (click any video).

It has just worked.

Firefox Refresh button needs fixing.

All sorts of bits and pieces have been changed since Repair Install. Luck I use my Laptop mainly.

Like this post
hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Damn! Its not compatible with Windows 7!!

h

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I would try "Repair Windows 7"

Like this post
hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Aha!

Instead of disabling AVG I uninstalled it, and Adobe then installed! Havent tried Flash yet, now just installed MSE!

h

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED