We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer Crash this Morning

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Computer crashed this morning after downloading and running Eset smart security.

I did have Avast on but removed it completely using Revo uninstaller.

Eset did find a problem in the Firewall which I think it stopped from running but will have to wait till it stops scanning so that I can check what the fault was.

Ok Scan Just finished and the problem was.Port scanning Attack.

Source 221. 192.199.49:1.1200

target 82.29.12,241:6515 TCP

Any way of finding out what it is maybe one of my other security programs.

Probably a one off but will see if it happens again.Scan ran Ok that time without crashing.

032712-26972-01.dmp 27/03/2012 07:25:48 UNEXPECTEDKERNELMODE_TRAP 0x1000007f 0x00000008 0x807c6750 0x00000000 0x00000000 ehdrv.sys ehdrv.sys+19d0 ESET Helper driver ESET Smart Security ESET 5.0.87.0 32-bit ntoskrnl.exe+b4ae3 ntoskrnl.exe+11754 C:\Windows\Minidump\032712-26972-01.dmp 2 15 7601 179,019

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Opened another thread.With computer will not connect to the Internet.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4131003/computer-will-not-connect-to-the-internet/

Got a bit sidetracked with the other problems and forgot about the main problem.Will leave this one open just now unless told to close it.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok.Looks like I managed to fix it.It was a bad DNS address.

I tried resetting the DNS manually and I have been putting down the settings on the computer that it gave.

It showed the IPv4 address as 192.168.1.3 and I thought that was the proper address to put in.

Decided to try it again this morning when I got it to connect through Hitmanpro and the IPv4 address had changed to 192.168.1.2.

Thought that I would give that a go to see if it made any difference and Bingo it works so far.

Rebooted 3 or 4 times and it still works.At least I know what to try now if it happens again. It was set to automatic before.

Thanks for all of the help you given it was appreciated.

I suppose anyone with a little bit of knowledge would have fixed it a long time ago but as it was set to automatic I assumed it had to be right.

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

buteman

Glad you solved it - admire your persistence! Thanks for feedback.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Probably had you all sidetracked by adding different faults from Event viewer.

Yes glad it is fixed how long it will stay that way I know not.

I was thinking along the lines of a reformat but was glad it never came to that.

Just wondered how it managed to change the automatic settings by itself.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thanks for the feedback. It was certainly a long haul :) Wonder why the PC crashed, though, after installing Eset?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

rdave13

Possibly because I never ran the Avast removal tool that you suggested.

It is about the only thing that I can think of.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Quite possibly. Two things I won't use Revo for are security software and any Microsoft software.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......