We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer Crash this Morning

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Computer crashed this morning after downloading and running Eset smart security.

I did have Avast on but removed it completely using Revo uninstaller.

Eset did find a problem in the Firewall which I think it stopped from running but will have to wait till it stops scanning so that I can check what the fault was.

Ok Scan Just finished and the problem was.Port scanning Attack.

Source 221. 192.199.49:1.1200

target 82.29.12,241:6515 TCP

Any way of finding out what it is maybe one of my other security programs.

Probably a one off but will see if it happens again.Scan ran Ok that time without crashing.

032712-26972-01.dmp 27/03/2012 07:25:48 UNEXPECTEDKERNELMODE_TRAP 0x1000007f 0x00000008 0x807c6750 0x00000000 0x00000000 ehdrv.sys ehdrv.sys+19d0 ESET Helper driver ESET Smart Security ESET 5.0.87.0 32-bit ntoskrnl.exe+b4ae3 ntoskrnl.exe+11754 C:\Windows\Minidump\032712-26972-01.dmp 2 15 7601 179,019

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

rdave13

Ok thanks for that.Not at home just now but will try it when I get back.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

rdave13

No luck with that but I will give it another try and reboot after each one.

It did start the first boot up but struggled.Never worked the 2nd time or since but it was worth a try. I still have to get the Internet running by using Windows Live mail.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

It looks as if the installation of Eset has managed to reset some of your connection parameters somehow or corrupted (cleaned?) an essential piece of software.

You could try an installation of your ISP software/details and check the Parental Controls/Internet Options for any changes. Also your modem/router settings.

Failing this I can only suggest a repair.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

johndrew

Yes certainly have problems.Just funny how it will start with Windows Live mail or with HitmanPro.

Looks like something is corrupt.Tried System Repair.sfc /scannow ran security programs and found nothing.

Just wondered if it was a Dns problem or IP problem.

No mad rush to fix it as I have another one that I can switch on.And if that one does not work it has to be down to the modem I think.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

This has been appearing quite a lot in Event viewer.

Log Name: System Source: Service Control Manager Date: 30/03/2012 18:26:59 Event ID: 7001 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: roy-PC Description: The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start. Event Xml:

0x8080000000000000

System
roy-PC

Computer Browser
Server
%%1068

Not got a clue as to what it meens.Anyone point me in the correct direction.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Well that was not a lot of good.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Not sure if suggested before but have you thought of system restore to a long time ago before installing/uninstalling these security programs. Might have corrupted the registry. I don't think it's the modem as you would not connect at all.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I don't think I can go back very far as i usually remove my restore points once a month. But will check and see how far back i can go,

Will also check event viewer to see when I started getting this problem.

Thanks for the system restore .As I never thought of that.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Trouble with installing/uninstalling various security software often (especially not using the recommended tool) you will, no doubt in my mind, damage the registry. Hopefully a restore can fix this. If it works then can I suggest you make a backup of your registry. Get rid of all optimizers/ reg cleaners (including winaso), just stick to Ccleaner. It really is a 'mild' cleaner of registry and temp, cashe and robo form, passwords, folders which you can easily set to your preferences.

This is my humble opinion only of course but I've stuck to the free Avast! AV for many years and the paid for version of SAS. Some hiccups as Chrome being installed but that's another story.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

rdave13

Ok did a system restore and it is starting not to bad.

I could not get avast to run so had to delete it and download Eset again.

So far so good but things are a bit slow just now but hopefully they will return to their normal speeds.

I could only go back 7 days but it looks like it was far enough.Will see what tomorrow brings.Thanks for all of your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide