We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

speakers not working

diesel1948

Likes # 0

Have Dell Dimension 9200 and tried to put some speakers on it that are quite old, Creative Cambridge sound works FPS 1600 1 black connector and 1 green and plugged them in to same coloured holes on back of dell. There was loud power but would not play music or anything else. Put dell speakers back on and now they don't work. They just have 1 green connector and a USB. Anyone got any ideas what I have done wrong? Grateful for any advice. Terry.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not unless the black connector was supposed to plug into the back of the other speaker and the green one to the back of the computer.

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

New sound card

Like this post
diesel1948

Likes # 0

Mark the dell speakers were working before I tried to put creative speakers on so the must be sound card in.Buteman these dell speakers are very simple, 2 small speakers, 1 wire coming from right speaker to left and 2 wires coming from right green connection and usb connection. The computer says it is playing when I run test perhaps they are just done for. Sorry Mark did you mean sound card gone? Maybe that could be problem but would windows not recognise that?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

diesel

To check if it is the sound card, try headphones

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

They probably need a Power Supply.

The Black one is very likely to connect to a SubWoofer.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

The FPS 1600 was a mains powered 4.1 system (four satellites and a sub-woofer).

The audio inputs were 2 x 2 channels (front pair and rear pair). The Front pair were a green jack and the rear pair a black jack. These connected to the sub-woofer which contained the amplifier, with outputs to the satellites by RCA type connectors.

I'm guessing the dell speakers are just stereo (hence the green jack), with the USB used to provide power.

What exactly did you connect the black jack on the FPS 1600 to? Without knowing this, it is difficult to know whether their is a chance that you have damaged something.

Alternatively, have you somehow turned one or more of the volume settings off / muted?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do