We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using Outlook 2007 as Mail Client

TonyV
Resolved

Likes # 0

Due to the problems I had with WLM, I have removed it and gone on to using Outlook 2007 as my mail client.

It is certainly not a very friendly programme to use. In other mail Clients I have used, Outlook Express and WLM in various iterations, I used to be set up with a Folder for my particular e mail addresses, one folder per e mail address.

When I transferred every thing from WLM to Outlook, the self same folders were also transferred. Good. There is also the Storage Folder which contains all the various sub-folders that allow me to know where the messages are kept. As the Meercats would say "Simples!"

In the Account/Address Folders I had a series of sub-folders. Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Junk and Deleted. When I sent messages they would automatically go in to the relevant sent Folder for the address that sent it. I don't seem to be able to do that in Outlook. So now I have one folder for each of the e mail address I/we have, and every thing that is received goes in to a main Inbox, or if sent in, to the main Sent Box, or the main Draft folder or the main Deleted folder. Is there any way that from a particular address I can keep the messages in its sub-folders?

Thanks

TonyV

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

bump

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You need to set up message rules. I have 3 e-mail accounts using Outlook 2007 and each goes into the relevant folde eg I have a message rule that states "Apply this rule after the message arrives sent to "my e-mail address" and move it to the .... folder. See Manage messages by rules

The easiest way is to use a template and an existing e-mail.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

ps It is actually quite a friendly program once you get use to it. It is much more than an e-mail client.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Thanks for your responses. I have it working, but only for e mail. I have no real use for its other features. I'll have a look at some of the rules and see what I can sort out.

I have tried to sort out the notifications and it either doesn't want to do it or I have to set a rule to get that to work. I have managed it partially but it is certainly not as user friendly as I would have anticipated. Why does it have the facility to notify via sound or desktop then not do as I have asked of it? I get the impression that if you put more than one style of notification, it suffers with indigestion!

I think it is same with most things from Microsoft. One pace forward and 19 backwards!! I will persevere and see what I can do.

Cheers

TonyV

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Notifications: Tools - Options - Preferences tab - Click on e-mail options then click on advanced email options - in the window that opens Under when new items arrive in my Inbox - tick play a sound and click on desktop alert settings to increase the length of time the alert stays on the desktop and change its transparency.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I have got the sounds to work, I can't get two elements to work together. To get over the problem, I created a rule to get the Desktop notification to work. As I said earlier, why have the facility to get more than one notification working if it what it really needs is a couple of Rennies!!

I actually got the answer from a Google search where it seems this can be a particular problem with Outlook 2007. I even tried repairing it via the Help link. It worked once then went AWOL again!!

So I will leave it as it is now, with the Sounds operating and the Rule doing what it should.

Thanks

TonyV

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...