We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft has detected that you are holding down the CTRL key

douglas1973

Likes # 0

Microsoft Word and Outlook 2007 have gone haywire, e.g. (1) I start trying to type in Word and the following appears: "You pressed Ctrl + Enter as a keyboard shortcut for sending a message? Please do not show me this dialog again. (2)I start trying to type in Word or Outlook and a dialog box opens - sometimes it is a "Find asnd Replace" box, othe times "Insert a Hyperlink", other times "Print", etc.(3) Sometimes it is "Outlook has detected that you are holding down the CTRL key. Do you want to start Outlook in safe mode?" Sometimes it is difficult to start Windows 7 and on doing so on two occasions a blue screen appeared but I was unable to read the text because it closed down too quickly.How can I eliminate these problems that make my computer nearly unworkable - in fact it is a miracle that I have managed to access your website and write this.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sounds like your keyboard is faulty or keys are stuck down, especially the CTRL key.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Detach keyboard, turn upside down, give good shake and tap to dislodge muck and crumbs, clean between keys with a paintbrush or similar. You could also prise/pop the keys off (there are 2 Ctrl keys on the bottom row) and clean out then put keys back on.

If sure that keyboard is clean and it still gives problems, try a different keyboard if you have a spare one, if not then looks like you will have to buy one.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic that's what I said, didn't I?

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

I suppose you could disabling the key ,there is freeware out there to do this! You will probably have to try each 'Ctrl' in turn.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

You could try using the on screen keyboard with the main one disconnected that way you might confirm or eliminate your keyboard as the cause

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

It shows all the signs of a stuck/fault control key. If the OP types 'f', Word interprets it as control + f = 'find/replace'. If he types 'p', Word interprets it as control + p = 'print'. If he types 'k', Word thinks he wants to insert a hyperlink via control + k. And so on. And I'd imagine that if Windows tries to boot while it thinks the control key is held down, that would give the kind of problems the OP describes.

Like this post
douglas1973

Likes # 0

I have changed the keyboard and it has made no difference. I have now changed the mouse and will see if that is the solution. I should mention that the fault has been intermittent. After trying all sorts of things (so many that I cannot recall what all of them were) the fault sometimes disappeared only to come back later. I will get back later - either to say that changing the mouse has solved the problem or that it has not solved the problem.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Do try the on screen keyboard there are keyboard viruses

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"there are keyboard viruses"

More precisely, there are viruses that can affect keyboard drivers. On the off-chance that this is the cause, why not try deleting the existing driver and installing a fresh version?

Like this post
douglas1973

Likes # 0

So far, after changing the mouse, there have been no more problems. Early days yet. Will get back later - probaly tomorrow. Thanks everyone for their help which is much appreciated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback