We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What Graphics Card to buy..............

Petesilver

Likes # 0

I want to replace my current g/card as it keeps giving me problems but I din't know where to start I am not a gamer, just do poster and very keen on my photos Currently my card is ATI Radeon HD 4300/5300 series. PC Details......Windows 7 64bit AMD Phenom || x 4 945 Quad core processor 3.0GHZ,8mb cashe)Mainboard ASUS M4A78LTM, 8GB Ram The casing is called a Mini Tower (uATX) (a Mesh PC unfortunately) not had any problems except the graghics card keeps freezing for a few seconds then recovers itself

I haven't as of yet opened up the case, I know the motherboard does have integrated graphics HDMI/DVI/VGA -DDR3 but it has been disconnected because I went for a separate card

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Possibly this one, hd6600.

Cheap enough but you could contact Novatech for further enquiries.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Especially as it is a 'uATX'.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I know the motherboard does have integrated graphics HDMI/DVI/VGA -DDR3 but it has been disconnected because I went for a separate card

Will have been switched off in BIOS.

Reboot to BIOS

re enable on board graphics save and exit

shutdown open case and remove old card

reconnect monitor to motherboard graphics port

reboot

Like this post
Petesilver

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replys... rdave13 the one you have suggested seems like it will do the job....

Fruit Bat /\0/\ would the on board graphics be sufficent because when I bought the PC that is why I had a separate card also what you have explained to reconnect concerns me because when I received the PC I had a spare lead ( a flat one about an inch wide) I assumed that was something to do with it ?? sorry to be a bother but I am not to sure which way to go

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Graphics

Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 GPU Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DVI/RGB ports - Supports HDMI with max. resolution 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz - Supports DVI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz - Supports RGB with max. resolution 2048 x 1536 @ 85 Hz Maximum shared memory of 1024 MB

Would have thought good enough for photos

You can always try, costs nothing, add another card later if not good enough for your likes.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

For still photography work, you'd be hard pressed to notice much difference. Some dedicated graphics is certainly helpful for video work, especially in HD.

Even if you stick with dedicated graphics, you certainly don't need to spend a lot, if you're not worried about gaming capabilities.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...