We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

fujitsu/siemans pc

chippy+

Likes # 0

hi i have afujitsu/siemans desktop pc with 2 hard drives C D the system xp is installed on D can i take an acronis image of D and place it on C drive also the fan starts up when pc is switched on and then stops it is quite loud how can i stop or silence it thanks Chippy

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The fan noise could be a build up of dust in the PC. The dust would need removing. Puzzled how XP got installed on the D partition/drive?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I would suggest you do a fair bit of preparation first.

You can possibly change the drive letters and which partition is Active (machine Boots from Active partition). Or clone the 2nd drive to the first or restore an Image of D to C. (including MBR)

The procedure could be risky unless you make a full Acronis Image with all partitions and verify it. Make sure Acronis Recovery Boot CD does actually boot (in case of other problems).

Also make a copy of Partition Wizard Bootable CD, and check that boots.

Can you send a link to your Partitions? Start Run diskmgmt.msc PrtSc to get what you see, paste into your image editor and save on Desktop. Upload to imageshack.us

And do you have a 2nd online computer to get online for posting/Googling while messing with the 1st computer?

Like this post
Paddy

Likes # 0

I also have a Fujitsu/Siemens Desktop and had the same problem with the fan coming on at full speed. The answer is to remove the case, remove the heatsink from the processor, clean off the old heat transfer paste, thoroughly clean the heatsink, renew the paste, re-assemble and all will be well, the fan just runs gently and quietly. PM

Like this post
chippy+

Likes # 0

hi thanks all for the suggestions i will apply new paste for the noise as for the 2 sata drives i tried reformatting but i still get D as the system drive the 2 drives have the same make and model/size which dose not help to know which is which thanks Chippy

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Are you sure you have two drives?

Maybe one drive with two partitions?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...