We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best way to improve broadband speed?

AndrewAfresh

Likes # 0

Having just done a speed test, I’m getting 3.12mb and my neighbours are getting up to 6mb.

I get my broadband from PlusNet running Windows XP on a desktop about 8 years old; I got my Speedtouch 330 at the same time. According to Amazon reviews, there are better modems/routers (is it a modem or router or both??).

If I want to improve my speeds, should I replace my Speedtouch or my ISP?

Are there routers that will feed my PC and my smartphone?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

When comparing speed with your neighbour are you actually comparing like for like? Same ISP for example, wireless v ethernet connections. Wireless connections are usually slower than ethernet connections.

Have you carried out basic checks. Is your router plugged directly into your telephone socket rather than via an extension cable? Is there a filter? If you have telephone extensions in the house do they all have a filter?

Is the wiring in your house in good condition? If you have a BT phoneline have you tried unscrewing the bottom half of the box faceplate (if you have a new style box) and attaching your router/telephone (with a filter) directly into the BT test socket? This is perfectly legal and is one of the things that BT/your ISP will ask you to do for the basic checks. Usually if the speed increases and remains higher it points to the fact that you may have some suspect wiring.

If you still have an old type box you should consider having it replaced.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've the same set-up as yourself. Run http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ to see what your profile is. If about 3.5 meg then your download speed is OK. If your profile is higher then contact Plusnet via their help and support. I find them excellent in helping to troubleshoot. My Netgear router gave up the ghost a few weeks ago so bought this as a standby router (main one a D-Link). Easy to set-up and a good range for wireless.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015