We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Viewing router page when not connected to the internet?

bturner

Likes # 0

Hi everyone,

I am with BT Broadband and have not had any problems with connection for the 2 months since I have been connected except for a brief disconnection this afternoon.

I do have a Homehub but it arrived after my connection day and I like my wired Netgear router so have carried on using that. Also worried if I can't get the Homehub working I might mess up the settings on the wired router too.

Is it possible to view the Netgear Router setup and diagnostics page http://192.168.0.1/ when offline?

I thought it was as I am sure I have done this in the past when I could not get connected to the internet. Everything is working fine now but when I lost internet connection this afternoon, I went to open http://192.168.0.1/, entered my password but the page would not open while offline. Connection came back and I am able to open the page as normal. I was thiniking it is not much help if you can only see the site while online. ..

Like this post
Kennew

Likes # 0

Try this go to command window(Start->All Programs->Accessories->command prompt)

Type 'ping 192.168.0.1' and hit ENTER key If you get 4 Replies and Statistics stating Sent = 4 ; Received = 4 ; Lost =0

Then try opening your Router Setup Page by typing 'start iexplore 192.168.0.1' and Hit Enter key in the same command Window.

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Thank-you for your reply and your patience.

I have downloaded Firefox and by typing in 192.168.0.1 into the URL address the page loads as it does with IE when I am connected to the internet.

When I unplug my ethernet cable I have the same problem opening the Netgear router page with Firefox as I do with IE.

This is the message I get with Firefox,

"The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.

If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

I have made sure that "Work offline" is not ticked.

Regarding Java, when I look in "Start, control panel, Programmes and features" Java is not in the list of programmes.

I looked in a friends PC and in Programmes and features he has "Java (TM) 6 update 31. Do you think this could be the problem? If so I would be grateful for a link to the Java download.

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Hello Ken, thanks for your reply which I have only just found.

I followed your instructions and the ping statistics were sent 4 recieved 4 lost 0.

After typing "iexplore 192.168.0.1" enter the router page opened up when I was connected to the internet, when I unplugged the ethernet cable and typed the same "iexplore 192.168.0.1", enter the page would not load.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You do need Java - install this from the Java.com/en/download page - I can't send you the link as it automatically scans the PC that is making the search, in this case mine.

Like this post
Wuggy

Likes # 0

bturner, unless I have misread your posts, as I understand it you connect to your router via an ethernet cable and not via wireless. In several posts you mention that you can not connect to your router when you have unplugged the ethernet cable. That is the way things should be. You can only access your router when connected, either by ethernet cable or wireless. Whether or not your router actually connects to the internet should make no difference to your PC connecting to the router. Unplugging your cable removes that connection.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

This has just dawned on me too but I wasn't certain whether you were just trying to emulate no broadband connection and doesn't change the fact that when you lost internet connection you still had your ethernet cable connected and couldn't access the router?

Have you tried...

Delete offline contents. Select Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files. Select Delete all offline content, and click OK. This is to clear any possible previous router log on page

Make sure proxies are not enabled. If using Internet Explorer, select Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings. Uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN

Hard resetting your router?

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Thank-you both for your help and replies.

Yes I was trying to emulate losing internet connection by unplugging the ethernet cable from my PC and trying to open the page.

I am sure I have managed to open the router diagnostic pages when I have lost internet connection before at my previous address, the ethernet cable would still have been connected to the PC and router.

When this happened I telephoned BT helpline and they told me that could not help as I was not using BT equipment, I did persuade him to help.

I am concerned the helpline will not want to help next time I lose connection as I am not using the Homehub.

Difarn you are correct when I lost connection on March 23rd I did still have the Ethernet cable plugged into the router and PC but was unable to open/view the website.

Use a proxy server for your LAN" was unticked.

"Select Tools > Internet Options >" do you mean to delete temporary internet files, cookies? There was no "Files" section, my layout must be different to yours.

I am able to open the router page now as normal because I am connected to the internet, do I still need to download Java?

If so I will do that at the weekend when I turn the PC off, (it is on from sunday night until friday night for my work).

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Having Java installed means you have access to many more applications and websites - some will not open without it. Have a read of the attached - there is also a download link.

Yes, delete temporary internet files, particularly relating to those where you have tried to access your router.

As it is vital for you to have a reliable broadband connection and support I would seriously take the plunge and try setting up the home hub. A wired connection should be quite straight forward - connect the ethernet cable to any unused yellow port on the hub. If there is any problem at all then there is a good helpline but you will be able to connect again to your Netgear as a standby.

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Difarn wuggy and Ken, I wanted to thank-you for your help.

I ended up doing a recovery to factory settings on my desktop and am able to view all email and youtube again.

I did have a go at setting up the Homehub in the lounge earlier using an ethernet cable on the laptop, it did not work, then I unplugged the lead from the office socket and te Homehub worked without needing to use the CD, and no password was needed. So I am quite pleased at how easy it was.

I will use the Netgear router next week for work but might try the Homehub at the weekend and keep using it if the connection is just as reliable.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Glad you have found a resolution to your problems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September