We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virgin Media Superhub

mh84

Likes # 0

I have just received a brand new virgin media super-hub in the post as part of the double speed upgrade they are offering all customers.

Im a bit confused as to how to connected it to my existing set up.

I currently have a modem (supplied by virgin media) and a separate wireless router, which is connected by wires to a desktop computer. The modem is downstairs next to my virgin HDTV set top box and the router is upstairs next to the desktop computer.

Do I pur the new hub in the place of the modem, or in the place of the router? Preferable location would be upstairs, as I believe this would cover more of the house wirelessly

Any help please??

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 1

The problem I can envisage as I assume you are using fibre is you need to site the hub (which is a modem router combined) where your incoming Virgin coax socket is - This will mean your router also will be downstairs which may not be the best place for wireless connectivity - However my hub is downstairs & I have no problems with wireless connections upstairs - So maybe you could give it a try where the coax incoming is.

You can however use the hub in 'modem only mode' and maybe use the router upstairs as it already is.

You can access all features in the hub by using http://192.168.100.1 - The user name is admin & the password is printed on the router which I forget as I changed it.

I have had no problems with the hub whatsoever & here gives very good wireless coverage apart from the PS2 which I bought a Home Plug for.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Thinking on you can probably just connect your router to a network socket on the hub if the router you have supports this?

Like this post
mh84

Likes # 0

Thanks, the easiest option seems to be to put it downstairs where the coaxial cable is...I will try it and see what the range is like as I usually connect a laptop wirelessly at literally the other end of the house (and upstairs) so I'm worried about the range. and I believe I can use the existing wiring from the modem to the desktop...just need to remove the old router from the equatiion??

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I have a Virgin Superhub, which I acquired by accident. My old modem packed up, and a Superhub was all the eng had on his van.

As mentioned above, it is a combined modem/router, so needs to replace both, sited by your inlet socket. It has a much better range than their standard router. I have mine in the lounge, and have very little reduction in signal strength, in my bedroom (about 15m away, through two walls). There seems to be a slight loss of download speed, at that distance, but not significant.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Full instructions for the setup are provided by Virgin and they offer a helpline at the bottom of the page.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...