We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SMART failure!

hiwatt

Likes # 0

Hi folks.My brother's laptop when booting is saying "SMART Failure predicted on Hard disc 0:Hitachi.(Back up data etc)Warning a failure may be imminent.Press F1 to continue. When you press F1 it then boots to windows vista.There is no important data on the machine.I have done a factory reset,he just want's it functioning.I have ran chkdsk.Is there anything else I can do to stop this message(bar replacing the hard drive) as the drive "seems" to be fine once booted to windows.I also ran sfc /scannow which found some corrupt files but was unable to repair them?Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

By the sounds of it there is something in the BIOS or thereabouts that is picking up the HDD SMART info and giving the warning. You could go into the BIOS Setup and see if there is an option to disable either the warning or SMART altogether (there is often something in there).

However, just because the system seems to work OK doesn't mean that the disk is not starting to fail. Modern HDDs incorporate technology to circumvent failures and keep working - but only up to various limits. Once one of the limits has been reached it will, effectively, become a hard failure. Ultimately, it is your (or your brother's) call as to whether you want to run the risk.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Download and run this Drive monitor. and this HDD checkup. or HD Tune Free. These will tell you if you are having or going to have problems.

As Batch says,just because your PC will run it does not mean that there is not a problem. I had one recently die yet showed 85% OK so it is not worth taking a risk.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Better prepare for a HDD failure sounds as if it is developing problems.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

read here re SMART

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

Don't ignore the warnings, and in my experience don't try any programs to monitor the hd, as they will all find different issues, if they find any at all. Just replace the hdd now or as soon as you can.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If not already done - back up data, photos, documents, etc immediately.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Hi folks.Thanks for the replies/suggestions.There is nothing in the bios that relates to smart at all?There is no important data on the computer so that's not an issue he just want's the computer to be able to function for surfing the internet(although he is aware he might have to get a new one)I'm just trying to see if there is anything that can be done to get it running properly for a while at least.Still don't know how to disable the smart warning though?Thanks folks!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

So has he made a clone or a drive image ready for when he needs it?

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Hi folks,the computer keeps booting the windows restore/repair screen after installing windows updates. I downloaded windows updates and installed an antivirus etc.It installed a bunch of updates and rebooted fine but after installing the last 20 odd updates it again booted to the factory restore page?It's saying to insert disc(it didn't come with any)and repair and that the file \boot\memtest.exe status:0xc000000e is missing or corrupt!Is there anyway I can get this file replaced.I'm hoping to get the machine updated and cloned or at the verleast updated so it can be used untill he can get a new one.Any help is much appreciated folks.Thanks.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Hi folks,the computer keeps booting the windows restore/repair screen after installing windows updates. I downloaded windows updates and installed an antivirus etc.It installed a bunch of updates and rebooted fine but after installing the last 20 odd updates it again booted to the factory restore page?It's saying to insert disc(it didn't come with any)and repair and that the file \boot\memtest.exe status:0xc000000e is missing or corrupt! Is there anyway to replace this file without a windows disc.I'm hoping to get the machine updated and cloned or at the very least updated so it can be used until he can get a new one.Any help is much appreciated folks.Thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite