We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop Not connecting to perfect WiFi

paratoresgirl

Likes # 0

I just purchased a Acer Aspire 5250-0810 yesterday. I sat all day tryin to connect it wirelessly to my wifi connection I have enabled on my phone. It shows the signal strength as great and wont connect. I have tried several things. I have turned Protocal 6 off, protocal 4 off. I have tried to use the diagnos problem and it wont fix the problem. Nor find the problem. I tried to turn off my firewall, but it wont let me. This is all new to me. I am not an idiot by any means when it comes to computers. I have home internet with an ethernet cord, that when I hook it up to my laptop, it works fine, but that's for my desktop and I don't want to be stuck in the same spot all the time. Any suggestions on what I can do to get it to work? This is an expensive laptop and I need it for work, but can't work if it's not workin. Thank you for your help! When I click on the status, it tells me that: IPv4 Connectivity: No internet access IPv6 Connectivity: No network access Media State: Enabled

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You don't say what phone you are trying to connect. To tether a mobile phone to a laptop you need a cable to connect to the data port on your phone and a usb port on your laptop- you probably have one as it is the cable used to update your phone via your pc. On my Blackberry I have to use a Blackberry Desktop Manager to connect my phone to the laptop. It is then very straightforward to connect.

When you say you get a message ipv4 connectivity, no network access media state: Enabled, do you mean this is the message you get on your PC? This could refer to the fact that your PC is not connected to your home network wirelessly.

Like this post
paratoresgirl

Likes # 0

It's not just the wifi. I can't connect to the open networks wirelessly either. I have an Android-Evo 4G to be exact. It'll say connected but no internet access. And the IPv6 stuff is when I open it and look at the properties. I would like to be able to connect to any open network, not just my phone. But it wont even let me do that either. Thank you for your help.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Please forgive this question but have you enabled wireless on your laptop - slider on the front of the case or a function button?

Ipv4 is the protocol you want as ipv6 is not widely available at present. When you try to connect your laptop to an outside wifi connection do you right click on view available networks? This may or may not require you to put in a code - some places give you one, others you don't require one.

As for the phone - have a look at this article and video that gives step by step instructions.

Like this post
speedman

Likes # 0

I had a similar problem with my HP VISTA notebook. As a matter fact, i tried to hook up with the WiFi in my home but to no avail. Finally i had to called the WiFi company to bail me out. Fortunately they did and now i am a free man with WiFi all over my HP VISTA notebook. I guess you should do same.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...