We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identify and dump junk?

jmdraft

Likes # 0

Everybody knows that, over time, our registries get full of crap that sneaks in. everybody also knows that most of us don’t know what most of the crap is and wither it’s safe to dump it or not. Question: is there some kind of service, app, site, program……whatever, which will help us to identify all the crap and tell use what is safe to dump without causing our operating systems to malfunction?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I think you mean stuff that is running in the background to do with programs that you have not got open?

You can stop things starting up and running at first boot via msconfig

What OS have you, XP Vista W7?

Follow Fruit Bat /\0/\'s advice http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4128397/startup-programs/

Like this post
jmdraft

Likes # 0

Thank you but other questions are not answers to mine. I’m only interested in an answer to mine. I have posted it in 5-6 other forums and eventually somebody will be interested in answering it SPECIFICALLY. I don’t care what Roxio does and it was just an example.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

You know what? I think you'll find that, 99% of the time, people on here are interested in (and successful at) helping other people. It looks like your problem is one that no-one here has come across. I'd suggest you continue your search somewhere else. The fact that you've already trawled several forums should give you a strong hint...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Your question was "is there some kind of service, app, site, program……whatever, which will help us to identify all the crap and tell use what is safe to dump without causing our operating systems to malfunction?". People replied ccleaner which is correct. It identifies and if you want deletes.

Deleting program entries which are installed may be unsafe.

Like this post
jmdraft

Likes # 0

Question answered and problem solved. I tech guy from Purifom just sent me the answer. Yes CCleaner will identify (to me) the items and, yes, they can offer some, cautious, limited advice about which of the items are safe to disable. I should have gone to the horse’s mouth in the first place. Sorry to have annoyed some but it seems unavoidable. My time limited, I just hardly ever go to the forums to see how many people I can annoy and, invariably, some folks have enough time to be annoyed and tell me about it. It’s always a learning experience so thanks to all for now.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Goodbye, and I'd suggest you don't bother to come back. We'll just carry on in our amateur way trying to help each other and those that appreciate our help.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"Question answered"

Yes it was, in the very first response to your thread.

"I have had CCleaner in my computers for years and I like it. Maybe it somehow does this but, if so, I don’t understand how."

Apparently although you had had CCleaner on your pc's for years you had never bothered to learn how to use it.

No further comment.

Like this post
jmdraft

Likes # 0

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Jesus wept ! but entertaining ?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

markd71, no not entertaining, just a waste of space. We've had a lot worse.

Best to let this thread die and show our contempt by not posting further on it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...